CoinPeople.com

Newfoundland Coins

CANcoins

Has it ever occurred to anyone that most, not all, Newfoundland coins are totally undervalued!!!!!! :confus:

Just look at the number of coins issued and see what they are selling for. It is a joke compared to coins from the USA where hundreds of thousands are issued and their collectors value is higher.

The NFL $2 Gold coins are the best example for it....

check it out for yourself...

it is a crying shame...... :cry:

H

Has it ever occurred to anyone that most, not all, Newfoundland coins are totally undervalued!!!!!! :confus:

Just look at the number of coins issued and see what they are selling for. It is a joke compared to coins from the USA where hundreds of thousands are issued and their collectors value is higher.

The NFL $2 Gold coins are the best example for it....

check it out for yourself...

it is a crying shame...... :cry:

H

It's the demand side of the supply/demand equation that is keeping it that way. As the US and Canadian economies recover that may change quickly.

Comparing coins from totally different series based on just mintage is like apples to oranges. There's tons of world coins with tiny mintages that just aren't worth a whole lot. Off the top of my head there's coins like the George VI proofs from South Africa with mintages of ~1,500-12,000 that show up in Krause for a few bucks.

Also, the Newfoundland series is quite an oddball as it doesn't really fit with the rest of the Canadian series. I think even most collectors from/living in Newfoundland prefer to collect Canadian or other countries' coins.

I have a friend who has amassed almost a complete collection of Newfoundland coins (every date) over the past three years. Now he's complaining that prices have skyrocketed.

I tell him, "You have no one to blame but yourself. People saw you buying and jumped on the bandwagon."

I have a few of the gold $2 coins, which are absolutely beautiful. Here is my faviorite.....

1166943_Full_Obv.jpg

1166943_Full_Rev.jpg

I have a friend who has amassed almost a complete collection of Newfoundland coins (every date) over the past three years. Now he's complaining that prices have skyrocketed.

I tell him, "You have no one to blame but yourself. People saw you buying and jumped on the bandwagon."

I have a few of the gold $2 coins, which are absolutely beautiful. Here is my faviorite.....

1166943_Full_Obv.jpg

1166943_Full_Rev.jpg

That is a beautiful coin. Thanks for sharing it.

That is a beautiful coin. Thanks for sharing it.

Go ahead Art, twist my arm. :grin:

If you want to see really outrageous prices look into old Newfoundland paper money.

• 1 month later...

Comparing coins from totally different series based on just mintage is like apples to oranges. There's tons of world coins with tiny mintages that just aren't worth a whole lot. Off the top of my head there's coins like the George VI proofs from South Africa with mintages of ~1,500-12,000 that show up in Krause for a few bucks.

Also, the Newfoundland series is quite an oddball as it doesn't really fit with the rest of the Canadian series. I think even most collectors from/living in Newfoundland prefer to collect Canadian or other countries' coins.

Newfoundland "Specimens" number in single digits (2-3) and are excessively rare. As for "Oddball" Newfoundland was a separate British colony until 1949-It is now part of Canada. No proper Canadian collection is really complete with Newfoundland and Maritime coins.

• 3 weeks later...

The NEWFOUNDLAND 1880 Gold $2 coin is the lowrst minted gold coin circulating in north america. True, you can look it up if you like. A really good example of a MS-60 or higher would bring you a payday that no other coin in your collection may. Ive seen a couple examples of these coins in different states, but i can guarantee you that without a doubt An 1880 Nfld Gold $2 piece in AU-55 will sell for 5-7,000 all day long, not a problem, for a joke. The only sad thing about there being very little of these coins in existance, is that someone sometime has melted some of them down for the weight. OHHHH, if they only knew what they did!!!

i would have to agree with hiho on the newfoundland Paper bills. I live in newfoundland and i am yet to see someone here pull out a newfoundland bill and show me. Most are probably laying idle somewhere , in a place we know not, until one day someone uncovers a crisp clean pile of newfoundland bills. See how the market will like that flood?

• 1 month later...

1166943_Full_Obv.jpg

1166943_Full_Rev.jpg

Your 2 dollar gold coin is absolutely stunning. Thanks for posting it. I am quite interested in collecting Newfoundland coins, though I don't even own a one right now. I feel that they are extremely attractive and collecting them wouldn't be overwhelming due to the small amount of time they were minted. I like the fact that there are so few and that they aren't popular per se. Prices will catch up to the amount minted eventually and I am attracted to a genre that hasn't been invaded as of yet.