CoinPeople.com

1965 CANADIAN CENT

KEN 6

Does it also say PL on the holder? I know this is a common practice on ANACS/NGC holders of Canadian prooflike coins. It will read something like "MS67PL". There will be a world of difference in the price between a business strike MS67/68 and a PL67/68. With accurate Canadian grading, very few business strike coins will attain that high of a grade.

• 2 weeks later...

They're not exactly commonly traded items - the collecting of high grade modern pieces is mainly a US phenomenia that isn't really seen elsewhere.

As such, there isn't really the equivalent of a greysheet etc. for this type of material, and the only way to gauge the value would be by looking at past auction results (and there are some people who do that and sell their info). Even then, after finding out what the ICCS/PCGS graded piece goes for, there would be a discount attached to the ANACS pieces, and given that they're not that well recognized for Canadian coins, relatively speaking, even a 1-point discount on the grade (just to use an example) would likely make a signigicant difference.

What ccg said basically. I don't have (nor have I ever bought) a copy of the ICCS census, so I don't even have the population data for ICCS coins. It wouldn't be much of a limb to go out on to say that the top pop for ICCS graded 1965 cents is probably only MS-67. ANACS tends to grade Canadian coins quite leniently in most Canadian collectors opinions. I'd suspect that those ANACS graded MS67 and MS68 coins would come back at best MS66 if graded by ICCS. And this is assuming ANACS has correctly attributed them as business strikes rather than Proof-like.

I keep some records of ebay coin sales for my own personal interest in the market. The only 1965 pennies I've seen come up were two MS65 Type 4's (Large beads, pointed 5- a much rarer type than the SB/Blunt 5) in 2010. The ICCS one sold for $317, the PCGS one sold for $268.

The most recent issue of Canadian coin news I have shows the trend values as:

1965 Small beads, Blunt 5: $30 in MS65, $200 in MS66

1965 Small beads, Pointed 5 (rarer type): $350 in MS65, no price listed for MS66

If you were to list them on ebay, I think you'd end up with high bids of around $60 for the ANACS MS67 graded coin, $160 for the MS68 ANACS graded coin. These are just educated guesses at best however.

CCG&Kornholio: Thanks for the reply.But what difference would it be in Anacs grading a Canadian cent compared to grading a Lincoln cent ? They use the same grading system.

Thanks again

Ken

True both US and Canadian coin grading uses the same 70 point Sheldon scale. However, Canadian coins are graded more like English coins than American coins. Generally speaking it's just different. Perhaps "stricter" is a good way to describe it.

"Supergem" MS66+ coins are just a lot more uncommon in Canadian coin collecting. If you were to try for a modern set of MS67 or higher (properly) graded Canada coins, you'd have a very difficult time. In contrast, in the US coin market there seems to be a lot more of these high graded coins available, and quite inexpensive until you hit MS68 or higher.

Take a look at completed Ebay listings for Canadian coins. Compare ICCS vs PCGS vs ANACS. In general, I think you'll see that the same numerical grade for the PCGS coins brings 80-95% of what the same numerical grade ICCS coin brings. The same numerical graded ANACS coin will often bring 20-50% of what the ICCS coin does.

Archived