CoinPeople.com

New set idea

KoRnholio

I have kind of a lofty idea for a set on the subject of the debasement of coinage in Rome. I'd like to tie it into the political/historical climate at the time, and draw some parallels between then and now. But not being too familiar with Roman coins in general (I have maybe a dozen in total), I will need to do some real reading on the subject.

Is there any particular "benchmark" coin I could/should use, such as the denarius? My budget would allow for mid-higher grade silver or bronze pieces as long as they aren't scarce issues. I'd kind of like to make this set an extension of my current "one of each ruler" typeset.

Currently my Roman collection consists mostly of denarii/Ant. minted around 200-300AD. One is and AE Ant of Aurelian that is silvered. This is the piece that got me thinking about this kind of set.

Check out:

Coinage in the Roman Economy, 300 B.C. to A.D. 700 by Kenneth W. Harl

That book would likely help you make a decision that meets your goals.

• 1 month later...

I have kind of a lofty idea for a set on the subject of the debasement of coinage in Rome. I'd like to tie it into the political/historical climate at the time, and draw some parallels between then and now.

Sounds a great idea to me :bthumbsup:

Check out:

Coinage in the Roman Economy, 300 B.C. to A.D. 700 by Kenneth W. Harl

That book would likely help you make a decision that meets your goals.

I just ordered a used copy of this, hopefully it will give me some great ideas and direction. Thanks :)

Their main unit for controling, financial budgets and other main calculations was the sestertius ("sesqui-tertius", 2.5 asses at early Republican times).

It started as a small silver coin ca. 200 BC. and ended as a low mintage bronze penny of no relevance about 250 AD.

regards

• 2 weeks later...

Their main unit for controling, financial budgets and other main calculations was the sestertius ("sesqui-tertius", 2.5 asses at early Republican times).

It started as a small silver coin ca. 200 BC. and ended as a low mintage bronze penny of no relevance about 250 AD.

regards

Thanks, that is along the lines of what I was looking for as a starting point.

Bad news: my book order was cancelled without notification. I see it's now (still?) available- for $33 more than I had originally purchased it for. Stupid Chapters-Indigo. I guess I'll just order a copy from amazon.com while in the States in a couple weeks, for much less than what I had originally purchased it for.

• 1 month later...

Archived