CoinPeople.com

Columbia Space Shuttle Coin Question

joeyb

Hi All,

I'm know coin expert, not even a novice. I have this coin that I cannot locate on the Internet at all. I see many others, but not this one. It's a silver coin and I have attached picturesDSCN0667.JPGDSCN0665.JPG for comment. Not sure if it's valuable or just a fun collector piece to have. Comments and knowledge will help me under stand what I have.

Thanks

Interesting. I can't help you Joey but my inexpertise thinks its either a mass-produced medal or.... at best... somethng only for dignataries at the event!

* What - if anything - does it say along the edge on the rim?

Tons of this stuff is always being produced for every historical event and space is a big market for collectibles. This particular piece looks similar to work done by the Franklin Mint, but in that case, the rim will give some identification, such as the FM as M-over-F looks like an F with wings. Something like that will be used by any major manufacturer.

I have a few items in this category, space related, including two that were space-flown. One came with a holder with an insert. The other I had to track down, thanks to information from the seller, a dealer who knew something about where it came from. Whether this was for "dignitaries" or collectors on a subscription contract remains to be seen.

Blindly searching the Internet is painful but you can narrow that by including more ship names to see if this is one of a series, Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis. (Endeavour was added later, and may not be in the series if it is from the 1980s.)

Archived