CoinPeople.com

Did USSR use the Graebener coin press?

alexbq2

Got this interesting promotional token. I wander if the soviet mints ever used this press?

990826.jpg

During that era there were several western companies trying to sell equipment to the USSR government, so it would not surprise me that this token was made. De La Rue Giori tried to sell their printing equipment to the USSR and did up promotional notes with Aleksandr Pushkin on them with a view of Sankt Petrburg on the reverse. However, I am not sure if they ever ended up purchasing any of this equipment though.

North Korea famously purchased a Giori printing press back in the mid-1970's and then refused to pay for it. It is conjectured that said press is what is used in printing their "super" notes of the USA $100.

I did some more digging, and it looks like the Soviet Union did purchase this equipment for the minting of the 1980's Olympic series of coins. So this token is likely a precursor to the purchase of the equipment by soviet mints. Apparently, the St. Leninsburg mint still uses Graebener coin presses.

Few years ago I could find those Olympic coins in "junk" silver bins of dealers at coin shows selling even for under spot price because dealers wanted to get rid of them. USSR silver and gold coins were often treated like junk by dealers. Not that I have problem with that because I have bought some rare medals in gold for spot gold value only. Now if I can find the Tereshkova medal I will be very very happy.

Of course when I see them in the old country, prices are too high and I would only sell for those prices. :evilbanana:

Archived