CoinPeople.com

1894 Midwinter Exposition matched pair of medals

I bought the following medal a few years ago for an inexpensive price because the reverse was a struck through.

956377.jpg

It is a choice piece struck at the official booth on the same presses used by the mint to make $20 gold pieces. The planchets were gold-plated for opening day. The medal, Hibler & Kappen 245, is readily available, but a pristine piece such as this is quite expensive. Mine did not cost that much because the reverse is a "struck through." At first, I thought it might be a rag or other piece of cloth caught between the dies. I now think in was a blob of grease on the lower die. Why? I was lucky enough to acquire this AU example a couple of weeks ago. What are the odds to find a mate to the first?

990722.jpg

I have not yet done a close study to determine which came first. But they had to have been struck either one after the other or very close in succession.

What a great find. That Dino-Lite digital microscope might be a help to you in assessing which was struck first.

To me the top one was struck earlier than the bottom one, as the "blob" has spread to a larger area but that larger area is less intense in its effect.

What a great find. That Dino-Lite digital microscope might be a help to you in assessing which was struck first.

To me the top one was struck earlier than the bottom one, as the "blob" has spread to a larger area but that larger area is less intense in its effect.

I agree, but I haven't put them under the scope yet. The lettering seems sharper on the second which would suggest less impact from the grease.

• 6 months later...

This is fantastic. I've never run across anything like this before. Keep us updated as you study this series of medals. Thanks.

Archived