CoinPeople.com

Dauphin Jeton

DSCN2561.jpgDSCN2562.jpg

Silvered copper(only traces of the silvering remain) 26-28mm.

Obv. A dolphin being crowned by a hand appearing from a cloud. A DELPHINO INCOLUMITAS

Rev. Figure of Peace, holding a cornucopia, and burning implements of war. EX PACE UBERTAS

Exergue WOLF LAVF. (For either Wolf Laufer I (master 1554, died 1601) or Wolfgang Lauffer/Lavfer II Nuremberg, active 1618-1660)

A DELPHINO INCOLUMITAS Safety to/from the Dolphin/Dauphin

(EX BELLO PAX / From war, peace)

EX PACE UBERTAS / From peace, plenty.

Assumed by some to depict the birth of the 18th Dauphin(Louis XIII) in 1601, it might also be for the 19th(Louis XIV) 1638.

• 1 year later...

DSCN2561.jpgDSCN2562.jpg

Dauphin.jpg

On-line translation(good enough for purpose) goes for the 19th Dauphin the future Louis XIV, so the jeton is 1638 & by Wolfgang Lauffer/Lavfer II Nuremberg, active 1618-1660;

"NO. 49. (cinquefoil) A DELPHINO INCOLUMITAS. Dolphin tail wrapped and erect, sailing on the waves; the side right out of a cloud an arm decorated with a headline and holding a crown.R #. EX PACE UBERTAS. Nude peace until the belt, standing left, tour holding a cornucopia and setting on fire with a torch to a weapons monceau. A the epigraph: WOLF the VF.Copper. -Al. Chaper.Wolf Lauffer, Goldsmith to Nuremberg, worked during the reigns of Louis XIII and Louis XIV; his son Conrad, under the reign of Louis XIV. However, there is a token identical to that just described with the legend REICHE PF - C - l. # Reiche pffenige Conrad Lauffer #. There is some reason to think that the token with the name of Wolf is Louis XIV dauphin, the Conrad, on the contrary, the Grand Dauphin, son of Louis XIV."

For me, the life long love of history pushed me into this area of collecting, the advantage is that you can find extremely rare pieces, even unique ones, for a low price compared to most rare coins, coins are something I have never really collected, except for a limited few, the odd 1797 2 penny cartwheel etc . The field is so vast, the opportunities endless.