CoinPeople.com

Excellent Reference for Russian Paper Money

Rhino

If anyone here (besides me) collects Imperial Russian banknotes from 1898-1912, I would recommend taking a look at a short but excellent catalog named "Russian Government Credit Notes of Issue 1898-1912 Catalog" by Dudolkevich (or its Russian title "Каталог определитель Российских государственных кредитных билетов 1898-1912" by "А.М.Дудолькевич")

It's short (50 pages at most), simple, easy to understand, and written in both English and Russian - all in the same book. It focuses on explaining the different signatures, what they mean, what the serial numbers mean, and who all the signers and co-signers are (nice table and chart for that).

Those who collect these notes know that when you see a note from any one of these years, it could have been printed in 1 of 4 different eras, by 1 of 3 different regimes, which could get very confusing if you don't know your signatures and your serials....

You can buy it online or ebay for less than like $8 :bthumbsup: By the way, I'm not affiliated with the author or anything like that, I was just happy to find an English book that does a pretty good job explaining the topic, instead of the bare basics you get with Krause or the hard-to-find-and-translate Russian references.

c067d87925d395d672fb8fe7a63f18b2.gif

That is a neat reference for casual collectors like me. It is possible to buy much more thorough catalogues in Russia, and usually only in Russian language - but I am not that very serious about them. In fact I only like the 1894 series on up myself.

That is a neat reference for casual collectors like me. It is possible to buy much more thorough catalogues in Russia, and usually only in Russian language - but I am not that very serious about them. In fact I only like the 1894 series on up myself.

I agree, the 1894+ notes are definitely the most attractive and sophisticated notes. Ideally the ones from 1866 onward were really nice too, but since those are very rare and extremely pricey they don't really "exist" to most collectors like me, only in books.

By the way, the book mentioned that the 1898-1912 banknotes were made from hemp :shock: I never knew that, I always assumed they were cotton like the rest of the world. Fascinating fact (for me, at least).

Hemp grew in the wild in Russia during that time and on up to the 1990's when it was discovered to have another property decidedly more popular with the "in" crowd. Ah, can I say, westernisation hasn't always been good for Russia.

Archived