CoinPeople.com

Copper Coins Of Nicholas I

alexbq2

Just received the JRNS with Steve's study! :bhyper:

Thanks Steve! This period is of great interest to me because of all the variety, and it must have been very time consuming to process all these coins, while paying attention to variants and Novodels.

Speaking of Novodels. The 1835 kopeek CM from the Aalborg collection. Is it not a Novodel? As I understand all coins in this series were originally struck at Suzun without the ring. Aalborg's coin if the memory serves me right is struck in a ring and is very shiny, which I think implies it being a Novodel.

Here is my not so shiny coin:

960844.jpg

Just received the JRNS with Steve's study! :bhyper:

Thanks Steve! This period is of great interest to me because of all the variety, and it must have been very time consuming to process all these coins, while paying attention to variants and Novodels.

Speaking of Novodels. The 1835 kopeek CM from the Aalborg collection. Is it not a Novodel? As I understand all coins in this series were originally struck at Suzun without the ring. Aalborg's coin if the memory serves me right is struck in a ring and is very shiny, which I think implies it being a Novodel.

Here is my not so shiny coin:

Alex, thanks for showing your coin! Could you email me better pictures for my database? :art:

I hope the article is useful to you. Yes, this was a complex study and at 45 pages was by far the longest :yes:

Aalborg's 1835CM 1K is ex Hutten Czapski with the countermark (as I mentioned in the article). Hoiland did not catalog it as a Novodel, though Alexander Auction House did when it reappeared in their Sale #11 in 2009 (Lot 662, 1900USD). Uzdenikov doesn't recognize CM novodels, and also this coin has enough little nicks and dings to cast doubt. I guess whether it is, or is not, a novodel is open to debate. For the sake of consistency, Uzdenikov-acceptance of Novodels was adopted for the article.

Best,

Steve

Alex, thanks for showing your coin! Could you email me better pictures for my database? :art:

Steve

Email sent. I also have a 3 kpeek 1844 CM. Not terribly exciting but your study has found only 8 of them. I'm actually waiting for its replacement, which is much nicer, and if you like will post images of that coin when/if I get it. For now here is the old one:

980862.jpg

Very nice coins. I am working on the 5K series as well and so far have:

1831 EM

1832 EM

1833 EM

1834 EM

1835 EM

1837 EM

I have been trying to buy coins in VF and at a reasonable price. Sometimes, those two things are mutually exclusive.

I have not received my edition of the JRNS! I hope mine comes today! I look forward to reading Steve's article as always.

Archived