CoinPeople.com

Projecto Niños in the Republica Dominicana

Project Niños in the Dominican Republic

October 10, 2005 I will be going to the Dominican Republic.

Although the Dominican Republic is mostly known for it's white beaches, blue seas, palm trees and luxuary resorts, my stay there will be far from leisure.

I will be doing voluntary work there, to help a small community getting safe drinking water. I haven't been there in that area yet, but basically it's the following situation:

There's a small village (100 - 200 families) in the mountains, quite isolated from larger towns. Near that village there's a well up a mountain that gives clean water. At the moment, that water runs through a small creek to the village. Unfortunately, it gets poluted on it's way to the village, so in the village it's no longer possible to take water from it, for human consumption.

This means that the people (read: women and children) have to walk about half an hour to get to a place where the water is clean, fill a bucket of jerrycan and walk back. And the path they follow is narrow, curvy and steep up and down. They usually have to do this 2 - 3 times each day.

What the project involves is building a concrete construction near that well, to capture the water. The water is then forced into a pipe that runs to the village. At the village, the water runs into a large cistern that functions as buffer and to create water pressure for the water system in the village.

What has to be made are the concrete construction to capture the water, the pipe (under ground, 1.5 mile long) and the cistern (4000 gallon).

When the project is finished, the people can get clean water at a few steps from their home. The time that is saved, can be spent in a different way. For the kids it means that they can go to school since they don't need to help in the household. And the women can spend that time e.g. for doing other payed work, so the income of the family increases. Usually that means that then then are able to get at least one decent meal per day.

Another major improvement as a result of such a water system is the much better general health, since the water that's availalbe now, is cleaner than what they picked up in the creek.

I won't be doing this alone, I will join a group of 39 Dutch persons who all signed up to work there.

This project is organized by a Dutch organisation, called World Servants Europe.

This organisation organizes many projects in so called "third world" countries all over the world. These projects all have a similar structure: participants sign up and pay a admission fee to join. This "fee" is a significant amount of money and includes the cost of plane tickets, accomodation, meals and material used in the project. About 75% of the total project cost is financed by the admission fees of the participants. The other 25% is financed by large Dutch sponsors, like government and (large) companies.

When we are there, we will be working together with the people from that community. We will teach them how the system is to be built and they will be building it together with us. That way, they know how to repair the system, when there is a malfunction.

This will be my sixth project there. And many more members of the group have been there before, often several times. Since these projects are usually in very poor areas, local health care is terribly bad, if even available. When there are health problems, people usually have to travel long, before they reach a clinic or hospital. But traveling costs money and that's something these people don't have. And if you have to choose between feeding your kids or going to the doctor, most people go for the food.... Thus their medical problems get worse. Those who suffer most are the kids, there are basically no 100% healthy kids there. Respatorial problems, skin problems, parasites and diarrea are very common problems.

So what we've done the last years, is hiring two or three pediatricians and nurses, who will come for one or two days and examine as much kids as possible. They will bring lots of different medicines (more than a truck load!!!) and give the people who are examined the required medicines. The people do not have to pay for this. In order that as much kids as possible can benefit from this, we start an advertizing vampaign a few days before the docters come and talk to as many people we know, to let them know it's going to happen. On D-day, people start coming 2 - 3 hours before the doctors arrive and queue up and wait patiently until it's their turn.

One day costs about US$1500 and on a day, about 150 kids are examined and provided with medicines. This so called "Projecto Niños" is not covered in the total project fee, it is financed by the members, apart from the normal project fee.

This year we will be hiring the doctors again and thus we (the members) are looking for funds to finance it.

The next weeks I will be setting up a number of auctions to raise extra money for the Projecto Niños. All money that's payed for the items (paypal preferred), will be used for the Projecto Niños, I will cover the shipping and handling costs.

CP members are of course free to make donations for the Projecto Niños. When I'm back I will create a report with pictures, to show what is done with the money.

ending september 2, midnight CET:

Auction # 1 set of 9 silver Dutch guilders ended, Tiffibunny wins

Auction # 2 set of 5 silver Dutch guilders ended, Unknown wins

Auction # 3 set of 2 Swiss silver 1/2 franc coins ended, ccg wins

Auction # 4 Czechoslovakia 50 korun silver ended, Stujoe wins

Auction # 5 1963 proof Franklin ended, Stujoe wins

ending september 3, midnight CET:

Auction # 6 2004 silver Dutch € 5 commem ended, ccg wins

Auction # 7 Maria Theresia Thaler restrike ended, Henare wins

ending september 4, midnight CET

Auction # 8 5 Hryvnia 2001 Motherhood (Mother and Child) ended, tabbs wins

Auction # 9 lot of 16 Mecury dimes ended, Tiff wins

Auction # 10 Czech, 100 korun, 1948, 600th Anniversary Charles University ended, tabbs wins

I'm proud to know you and want to congratulate you on your generous and caring nature. I will remember you and your co-workers and the kids in my prayers.

Off to the auctions.

Not only has Trantor_3 committed to this, but he donated a Netherlands Euro Commem in silver for one of my Ukraine Two auctions, I will be auctioning this off as soon as it comes in the mail.

You know, Coinpeople has a lot of really good souls, from Netherlands, Portugal, Finland, Romania - my kids have gotten some pretty interesting coins from around the world. :ninja: Gosh, they have even gotten some really nice coins from far western Scandinavia whoops I mean Minisooohta. ;)

with the bids on the last running auctions, the thermometer has risen sky high : $161.50 and there is some more in the pipeline to come :ninja:

So far, about 16 kids will be examined and provided with the required medicines, thanks to you all!!

Many thanks everybody, for all your generousitiy!!!!

Archived