CoinPeople.com

Kuenker 186 is online

bobh

Hi guys!

What do you think about 6700 ???

I have my doubts that it's cipher series. Isn't it rather weak Paul's recoining one?

Otherway, judging from the price, it was bought as cipher coin ...

regards

Oleg

I think this coin was discussed here some time ago, but i cant recall the topic or thread (or what was the issue... ) but it looks familiar. Maybe someone here with better memory or search skill can help. Maybe it was a question of authenticity?

From the photo, It is clearly a Paul's Recoin. I can see the '93 date, and the mintmark EM at the sides is quite clear.

Hi guys!

What do you think about 6700 ???

I have my doubts that it's cipher series. Isn't it rather weak Paul's recoining one?

Otherway, judging from the price, it was bought as cipher coin ...

regards

Oleg

It's really strange, and I didn't bid. I've seen this kind of thing on fake 5K Paul overstrikes before. The almost equal strength of the rider and the nearby lettering is really hard to explain.

It's really strange, and I didn't bid. I've seen this kind of thing on fake 5K Paul overstrikes before. The almost equal strength of the rider and the nearby lettering is really hard to explain.

I believe that BKB has recently urged caution when purchasing overstruck coins. There are know well made fakes of the 1762 series overstrikes, with dies copied from the original coins and struck on worn down common coins of the appropriate period.

This however would not explain the "almost equal strength of the rider and the nearby lettering".

:

There are know well made fakes of the 1762 series overstrikes, with dies copied from the original coins and struck on worn down common coins of the appropriate period.

This however would not explain the "almost equal strength of the rider and the nearby lettering".

Exactly. You'd need an all-at-once single die that had the whole under-coin + overstrike engraved on it. I seem to recall this was the conclusion reached (maybe Alex Basok?) for the equally-spectacular (if real) 1796 overstrike fake that was done a while ago. It was passed around at the RNS meeting in New York back in 2000 and was later published in JRNS.

Archived