CoinPeople.com

Kuenker 186 is online

bobh

Your link points at russian lots starting with #6501.

However there are tons of nice russian coins in this range: 5630-5694 :) Check it out.

Thanks! Simply an amazing amount of material in all of their auctions. :bhyper:

Only by this third entry I remembered why I posted those photographs.

It is interesting to note that while the number of surviving polushki 1800 EM is very low yet the two coins are different: the Kûnker specimen has a clear overdate and mine doesn´t. Comparison to the other specimens may reveal even more different specimens.

This occurs one bit surprising compared to the huge emissions of the 2 kopecks, which show relatively low number of variation.

I also wonder if this specimen is already included in Mr. Mouldings investigations.

Here´s another one (mine), that certainly isn´t:

No, the Kunker coin is new to me, as is yours...thanks for showing! :bthumbsup: .

I agree with my learned friend BKB, yours is an overdate, as are all of the 12 others that I know about.

:art:

Steve

With closer examination BKB has it right and there indeed are tiny rests of metal indicating a "7" under the "8", but corrosion also took its toll as under the two last digits there is nothing.

How about the small point ПОЛУ.ШКА, purely incidental?

I shall shortly return to a subject closely related to this one, but I better open a new thread as we no longer discuss Künker 186.

:

How about the small point ПОЛУ.ШКА, purely incidental?

:

I see the beginnings of a spot in the same place on one other example. Yours has the spot plus some extra deterioration, indicating perhaps a die near the end of its life.

Steve

Uneven toning and a weak obverse strike. Perhaps it was stored around paper containing sulfur or some other chemical.

Here is a comparison of the Kuenker coin (top) and a genuine coin from www.m-dv.ru

25 Kop 1893

There are numerous differences on both sides, including the overall appearance and details of the portrait, the shape and thickness of the letters and the digits on the eagle side, and the size of the cross above the crown.

Uneven toning and a weak obverse strike. Perhaps it was stored around paper containing sulfur or some other chemical.

This is a cheap contemporary fake, not even a copy. It resembles original coin very approximately, and sells at Molotok (Russian internet auction) at approx. $10.

This is a cheap contemporary fake, not even a copy. It resembles original coin very approximately, and sells at Molotok (Russian internet auction) at approx. $10.

I actually once bought a fake like this on eBay. It was a few years ago. Note the surprised look on the eagle. It looks like the "artist" depicted the eagle with the eyebrows raised too high.

• 1 month later...

Archived