CoinPeople.com

An Interesting Award Medal

alexbq2

I understand that a few people here are interested in medals. An interesting one just sold on eBay for an impressive amount. I do not have much in terms of references on the subject, but I did not find anything with regard to awards from this Mining University, so it might be quite rare.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180617534708

Yes, I googled him in the context of his university but found no information.

if galvano - thousands is too much :hysterical:

i googled also his name but i remember the date of graduation did not match with the date on medal, i can be mistaken, but it was suspicios, plus i am not sure about this medal was awarded for some dedication to this field only or was given to its graduets as well :confus:

Agree. It does not look real at all.

I can't tell by the picture, but by the given dimensions and weight sound like it could be silver. Lead filled galvano of that size should be heavier.

But I have noticed that there is a huge quantity of galvano copies of various Russian medals on the market. And they don't look new. I wander why?

Not all the galvanos were made yesterday. Many local museums in Russia had galvanos (two and one-sided). Collectors were willing to fill the void in the collection with a galvano. Many one-sided copies offered on Ebay in the past (the ones with a sticker on the back) were originally made for some museum exhibitions. Actually, if you search through older numismatic literature, you will find description of the process for making galvano copies.

Not all the galvanos were made yesterday. Many local museums in Russia had galvanos (two and one-sided). Collectors were willing to fill the void in the collection with a galvano. Many one-sided copies offered on Ebay in the past (the ones with a sticker on the back) were originally made for some museum exhibitions. Actually, if you search through older numismatic literature, you will find description of the process for making galvano copies.

Thanks for the information. I'm wandering if the user lead or tin as filler?

Archived