CoinPeople.com

this would be my luck

ovrundr

They probably won't melt them, as they've said they want to use them for exhibitions. Still, this will be an interesting legal battle. There was a big spread on this in last week's Coin World. By the way, there are still at least 5 more that are not accounted for... :ninja:

By the way, there are still at least 5 more that are not accounted for

Actually, they are very unlikely to have any idea how many were even struck. It's an open secret that the mint's records are often wildly inaccurate regarding numbers of coins produced and how many were released to banks. In the case of the '43 bronze Lincoln cents, officials have admitted that there's no way of knowing how many strips of planchets were punched or how many coins were struck on bronze planchets and bagged.

You'd think they would have very accurate records at least of the gold coins produced, but records have been lost, altered and knowingly falsified for various reasons ever since there has ben a US Mint. There could be five more '33 $20s left out in the wild somewhere or there could be 500. The last people to know how many would be the bureaucrats paid to keep records.

If it was my family that owned them, I would have sent just one off to check for authenticity.

I agree. They should have known the coins would be seized by the Mint. As famous as these coins are, they could have easily researched them.

I doubt they'll ever see them again. :ninja:

I was reading about that in the paper yesterday. My girlfriend came running in (she just HATES the hobby) and told me she knew I'd love the article. Pretty interesting stuff. That would really be a let down if they were fake.

Archived