CoinPeople.com

Help identifying a Chinese coin needed

35cents

I have a coin I am trying to identify, I have looked in all reference books and can only find similar coins, it is silver dollar sized and appears of silver alloy, a lone figure on the obverse and a dragon with what looks like Chinese symbols on the reverse. It is similar to the Chinese dollar coins of the early 1900s. Any help would be great - thanks!

chinese.jpg

chinese2.jpg

Hello, and welcome to CP!

I regret to say that it is my opinion that the piece is modern, and is either a fantasy, or a copy of an obscure piece.

Silver content if any is likely low - the yellowish shade (if that's not a camera/lighting issue) seems to suggest a nickel alloy.

... I regret to say that it is my opinion that the piece is modern, and is either a fantasy, or a copy of an obscure piece. ... seems to suggest a nickel alloy.

I agree. It matches no known common Chinese silver dollar or pattern of the early Republic, though, it is suggestive of some "YSK" (Gen. Yuan Shi Kai) or Gen. Chu Yu-Pu: man in a hat. But none have dragon reverses like that. Dragons typically come in One; two would defeat the meaining, like two eagles on a US coin, what's the other one for? And if it looks like "silver alloy" it is probably not silver at all.

Archived