CoinPeople.com

1918 Russian Banknote - Help!

KCTinter

Hello!

I do hope someone can identify this banknote. I am going through a small box of Russian banknotes from my great grandmother. What is odd is that it is dated 1918 but it does have an older (longer) serial number. The basic design is a copy of the 1912 Peter the Great 500 Ruble banknote. Note the Imperial Eagle and some copy have been X'd out. Any help will be very appreciated! Alida

1918_500Ruble_2.jpg

1918_500Ruble_1.jpg

Hello!

I do hope someone can identify this banknote. I am going through a small box of Russian banknotes from my great grandmother. What is odd is that it is dated 1918 but it does have an older (longer) serial number. The basic design is a copy of the 1912 Peter the Great 500 Ruble banknote. Note the Imperial Eagle and some copy have been X'd out. Any help will be very appreciated! Alida

This is a 1918 500 Ruble note from North Russia. Right around the Revolution years, especially 1918/1919, a lot of the territories used their versions of "altered" original Imperial designs. There are notes from around this time from South Russia that are also similar to the original 1912 design and are similar to the one you have.

Well, as you can see from the pictures, this note is not in very good condition. I believe it may have, literally, been through the war. My uncle was stationed in Archangel during WWI. He was part of the British Army but was Russian by birth. Can you get much further North? I have lots of other notes which have been buried in an attic since my great grandmother escaped. As another member, can you access my e-mail address? -- Alida

Well, as you can see from the pictures, this note is not in very good condition. I believe it may have, literally, been through the war. My uncle was stationed in Archangel during WWI. He was part of the British Army but was Russian by birth. Can you get much further North? I have lots of other notes which have been buried in an attic since my great grandmother escaped. As another member, can you access my e-mail address? -- Alida

Take a look at the other banknotes up there, you may be in for a nice surprise and find some great notes from that time. The best thing that can happen is that maybe someone stashed away some older Imperial notes that were deemed worthless by that time by the new regimes, maybe some rare years or rarer signatures on some of the 1 Rouble or 500 Ruble notes of the Czar.

Even though the note isn't in the best condition, it's pretty typical and most of the notes from this era are in that shape. Don't forget, they're over 90 years old, and they have been through a war. Maybe some WWI, the Revolution, local conflicts, WWII... I haven't seen many UNC notes from the years 1918-1920, and the Soviet notes of 1922-1936 go for big bucks in high grades, and are even hard to find in lower grades.

Post some more notes on this thread when you have a chance.

There are so many dynamics at work about Russian and USSR banknotes that make them so fascinating. You have to wonder how they survived over time, all the socio-political-military conflicts etc. It cannot be understated that if you have Tsarist era money in your possession during USSR times you could be falsely accused and convicted of plotting "counter revolutionary" activities against the state, and at least win a free trip to Siberia. This was especially important if they found gold or silver coins from that era in your possession. Of course it did not stop people from owning gold, they just kept quiet about it. Even in my USSR days I could find gold if I wanted to.

OK. Here goes:

Catherine The Great, 100 Rouble notes, 1910 -- 8 Shipov, some creases but no tears and 6 Konshin (more worn)

Peter The Great, 500 Rouble notes, 1912 -- 5 Konshin -- a little more worn and 3 Shipov

10 Rouble Notes, 1909 (vertical) 3 Konshin 16 Shipov

1898 One Rouble note Pleske (definite folds and worn edges

Catherine The Great, 100 Rouble note, 1898, Timashev (very worn)

Alexander (?) 50 Rouble note, 1899, Shipov

1919 5,000 Rouble Notes, 7

1919 10,000 Rouble notes,6

South Russia 1919 1000 Rouble note (with the bell on LH side)

1918 250 Rouble note, (green), 2

1918 5,000 rouble note, blue color, 2

1918 10,000 rouble note, reddish color, 2

1918, 1,000 rouble note, orangy color, 2

1919, 100 Rouble note (see pic below)

1918 5 rouble snote (small)

Several small notes that look more like coupons from a bond

UKRAINE:

1,000 Karbovantsiv note

50 Karbovantsiv (several types)

One 10 Karbovantsiv (older ? serial #)

See photos below for some mystery notes. (files too big to attach both sides. Perhaps I can do it in another post?

If you want me to scan any particular note, let me know.

Misc_Roubles_1.jpg

OK. Here goes:

Catherine The Great, 100 Rouble notes, 1910 -- 8 Shipov, some creases but no tears and 6 Konshin (more worn)

Peter The Great, 500 Rouble notes, 1912 -- 5 Konshin -- a little more worn and 3 Shipov

10 Rouble Notes, 1909 (vertical) 3 Konshin 16 Shipov

1898 One Rouble note Pleske (definite folds and worn edges

Catherine The Great, 100 Rouble note, 1898, Timashev (very worn)

Alexander (?) 50 Rouble note, 1899, Shipov

1919 5,000 Rouble Notes, 7

1919 10,000 Rouble notes,6

South Russia 1919 1000 Rouble note (with the bell on LH side)

1918 250 Rouble note, (green), 2

1918 5,000 rouble note, blue color, 2

1918 10,000 rouble note, reddish color, 2

1918, 1,000 rouble note, orangy color, 2

1919, 100 Rouble note (see pic below)

1918 5 rouble snote (small)

Several small notes that look more like coupons from a bond

UKRAINE:

1,000 Karbovantsiv note

50 Karbovantsiv (several types)

One 10 Karbovantsiv (older ? serial #)

See photos below for some mystery notes. (files too big to attach both sides. Perhaps I can do it in another post?

If you want me to scan any particular note, let me know.

Exactly what I expected :bthumbsup: The 1912 500 Ruble notes with Konshin on them, those (if not too worn... some wear is typical) are hard to find out of the Imperial series. Each one of those is worth at least $10 safely regardless of their current condition. The 1898 100 Ruble Timashev with Catherine is also a nice find. I'd like to see a photo if possible, "very worn" is a bit vague. I actually need one of those for my collection, so if you're looking to sell any, feel free to contact me about that note. The 1918 5000 (blue) and 10000 (orange) - what condition are they in? It's extraordinarily hard to find them in a condition above VF or so, those are typically very worn, with holes and tears and dirt...

Bottom line: post more photos!

I'm not home to check some references, but in your picture of "mysterious" notes I can tell you the small note with the 50 in the middle and the Imperial crest is a 1915 50 Kopek note, they issued those during WWI because there was a silver shortage and they couldn't make the 50 Kopek coins.

Oh and by the way, your 1899 50 Ruble note has Peter on it, not Alexander :) Shipov is a common signature though, you're looking at $10-15... it's a shame it wasn't any of the other ones, those are tough to find.

No, it has Nikolai I aka Nicholas I on it. Petr only on 500 rublei note.

Archived