CoinPeople.com

Favorite Book?

nicholasz219

Just curious to know what books you have been using lately, or what a long time favorite of yours is. Any particular reason why or individual sections (if a reference, mostly is what I am talking about) you keep coming back to would be interesting to hear.

Nick

Just curious to know what books you have been using lately, or what a long time favorite of yours is. Any particular reason why or individual sections (if a reference, mostly is what I am talking about) you keep coming back to would be interesting to hear.

Nick

i like every book in my library - each has its own history :D

For me there is no favorite. Different books serve different purposes and each has its own strengths and weaknesses. As far as references go, I use (in decreasing order of frequency)

Bitkin

Uzdenikov

Brekke

Brekke Supplement

GM Corpus

Ilyin & Tolstoi

Yusupov

Petrov

Diakov

Also invaluable for me is the JRNS (I have the whole set), and as many auction catalogs as I can get my hands on (past and present).

:art:

Steve

I am like Steve -- this would be my list. However, I have almost no use for supplement, I do not have Usupov and from Diakov I only have Peter I. I would add a few books:

Fenzi -- collection of GM in Smithsonian, which is invaluable if you are interested in rubles of Peter I.

Polujko catalog, Polujko articles -- a must have for Anna ruble collector.

Uzdenikov (collection of articles, most favorite being the 1994 edition)

Fon Vinkler (from the history of coinage in Russia)

All depends on what interests me at the moment. If it is about Yefimoks -- it is Zander and Spasskij. Sometimes I re-read Ryabtsevich on tinfs and checks. Lately I was concentrating on Fedorin, with those soviet coins I bought.

The best all around book is the Corpus + Demeni book. You could just read document after document for hours.

I am like Steve -- this would be my list. However, I have almost no use for supplement, I do not have Usupov and from Diakov I only have Peter I. I would add a few books:

Fenzi -- collection of GM in Smithsonian, which is invaluable if you are interested in rubles of Peter I.

Polujko catalog, Polujko articles -- a must have for Anna ruble collector.

Uzdenikov (collection of articles, most favorite being the 1994 edition)

Fon Vinkler (from the history of coinage in Russia)

All depends on what interests me at the moment. If it is about Yefimoks -- it is Zander and Spasskij. Sometimes I re-read Ryabtsevich on tinfs and checks. Lately I was concentrating on Fedorin, with those soviet coins I bought.

The best all around book is the Corpus + Demeni book. You could just read document after document for hours.

I agree, there are lots of important books. I'd add that for the "popular numismatic" reading I normally use works of Spasskiy, Uzdenikov and Zander. For the "detailing", see above + Kazakov(Nicholas II) and Diakov (medals).

I just want to add to my previous reply that of course my favorite books/catalogs are those containing my article/s. Another group - those who are signed to me from the authors. Very special royal item to me is the GM's coin catalog signed to me by the only grandson of the grand duke Georgii Mikhailovich Romanov :doh:

If anyone could add some titles for me to start looking for my own copies, I would be very grateful.

do you have all titles from above?

Hahaha, no I have none of the titles above. I could use some help.

I am just beginning a Russian reference library, so I don't have many books yet.

I also like reading auction catalogs as well. Anyone have a good seller of those?

Hahaha, no I have none of the titles above. I could use some help.

I am just beginning a Russian reference library, so I don't have many books yet.

I also like reading auction catalogs as well. Anyone have a good seller of those?

Check here:

http://www.vcoins.com/ancient/charlesdavis/store/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=58

Spassky's book is for sale on this site. It is very good.

One-kuna and RareNum of those that are active here. There are others, of course...

:art:

Check here:

http://www.vcoins.com/ancient/charlesdavis/store/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=58

Spassky's book is for sale on this site. It is very good.

Loyal Citizen,

Thank you! This site is wonderful! You would not believe how hard it is to find some of these books if you don't start in the right direction.

I need the Spassky but during my most recent search last week, all I could find was the Russian edition, which doesn't help me.

And they have Severin and Brekke too! Good site!

Archived