CoinPeople.com

DANGEROUS FAKE: 2kop1762

sigistenz

NY Sale lot#1165 was withdrawn - recognized as FAKE. From the picture the coin looks absolutely innocent. But our friend IgorS explained to me:

"Sigi, this is the type of fake that can only be identified by knowing of the existance of these particular fakes. On one of the Russian forums they showed two other coins that looked exactly the same as this one, including the remaining details of the undercoin."

Hit the link. I don't know what to say. Do you?

http://www.sixbid.com/nav.php?lot=1165&p=viewlot&sid=341

-

What is there to say? I am not planing on buying any overstrikes that do not have provenance going back at least 5 years. Next step is the edging process. When that is copied as well, I will stop buying any coins without provenance. The process is fairly new. They use polymers to create an impression of a coin. Then they press an original coin with those polymer "dies" One set is good for a mintage of about 5 to 10. A wonderful technology put to shady use. Same as nuclear power.

One step ahead. Unfortunately before we learn enough to differentiate between the fakes and real coins, a few unfortunate collectors get taken. Then later on, say 5-10 years, they try to off-load them as real and more people get hurt. The "filter" must be implemented at the auction level.

You know, I think this brings up an important issue. I think that possibly creating a clearinghouse of photos (especially high resolution photos) possibly in conjunction with the Wikipedia project would help the average collector avoid the purchase of fakes. This high quality fake probably would have made its way into my collection as well.

The only way out of this ugly counterfeit issue is to be aware and educate yourself from such counterfeits as well as knowing whom you are buying from. It's unfortunate but the more information we put out in the internet to warn these counterfeiters, it makes their job easier to know what products are failing and correct them. The result is higher quality counterfeits with less mistakes and it makes it even harder for average collector to detect such. It's business for them as well and sadly they got the upper hand. Unlike banknote security where new technology is leaving counterfeiters behind, one can't change what was struck years ago.

There is technology available which can determine the exact composition of then coin. However, if the counterfiters use an original host coin to overstrike with false dies, the technology is dead in the water.

a lot of collectors here are barred from most of the cutting edge information due to lack of an ability to read Russian language. The Russian forums is the place to get a lot of new information. That is where the info on this fake was published, as well as, the info. about this type of fakes altogether. There is a great influx of direct Paul's overstrikes on the Russian market. I would look into those. If they are not fake yet, as soon as the edging technology is perfected, they are next. I am staying away from all overstrikes altogether.

Archived