NY Coin Show

BKB

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Igor and Steve :art: ,

Reasonable price for Prokop sale. Most of the coins bring top

record price for 2002 and 2003.

Igor please keep update if you have better images.

Thanks, Rarenum.

This may be a dumb question, but why were the 1/4 Rouble coins under Peter I called Tympfs and later 1/4 Rouble coins were called Polupoltinniks?

What am I missing?

Nick,

Tympfs are different. They were not for use in Russia where 1/4 Rouble coins under Peter I were indeed Polupoltinniks.

From the NY Sale Catalog 2010

"A specialized Collection of Russian Tympf Coinage Distinct issues commissioned by Peter the Great to subsidize his Polish and Saxon allies in the war against Sweden. Denominated in the local currency of Poland/Saxony, this coinage was distributed to Russian troops stationed outside their borders in Poland, Lithuania, Pomerania and Prussia."

Please do not get me wrong - I respect Jim Elmen's professional opinion but looking at Brekke it seems like someone may be making an honest mistake.

Well, anyway, this is just my opinion, an opinion of an old man...

The plate coin is fine, authentic Novodel, relatively inexpensive and not that desirable because of corrosion. It was for sale for a year or so. Hundreds of collectors and dealers used to see this coin. I remember seeing it on several coin shows. Initially ask price was $1000 but I guess it went down to $600-700 or so.

WCO

Nick,

Tympfs are different. They were not for use in Russia where 1/4 Rouble coins under Peter I were indeed Polupoltinniks.

From the NY Sale Catalog 2010

"A specialized Collection of Russian Tympf Coinage Distinct issues commissioned by Peter the Great to subsidize his Polish and Saxon allies in the war against Sweden. Denominated in the local currency of Poland/Saxony, this coinage was distributed to Russian troops stationed outside their borders in Poland, Lithuania, Pomerania and Prussia."

Well, Steve, thank you for the clarification. That makes a lot of sense. How long did Peter produce this coinage? It does not reappear after his reign ends, does it?

Archived