CoinPeople.com

NY Coin Show

BKB

I was there on Friday only. Had to take off work, because I had a busy schedule on Saturday and was not going to pay $100 on Thursday.

I am happy I went. Here are the results:

p1070296z.jpg

p1070299.jpg

p1070303z.jpg

I also got a 1771 em polushka in vf/xf, but it is not as exciting a coin...

What did you get?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1276 error. I've seen very few of these and it's been missing from my collection. All have the fault above the 7, as does this one. Not great condition, but you have to take these chances when they come.

Nice buy indeed. I, on the other hand, had an unpleasant experience with the New York Sale. I bid online: I didn't want to be out late, because I had to wake up really early the next morning. I was lucky to win 3 of the 4 lots that I bid on. Two of them were the 1762 4 and 2 kopeks NGC XF45 for what I thought were high, but not exorbitant prices. When I came to pick up my lots, however, I was told that I didn't actually win those two coins: a floor bidder did. Showing them a print out of my lots won from their own website didn't help. They weren't shady about it, they acknowledged that there was a mistake and were very apologetic. But it was already done, I didn't have the coins I had hoped to own -- and for two days thought I will own. So the search will have to resume...

Was this added to the listings at the last minute? Couldn't find it on sixbid.com... :confus:

That was not sold at auction. I bought it privately at the show. It originally came from Mr. Elman (November of 2009 sale.) The dealer who bought it, decided to unload it.

I would suggest avoiding statements like the one above completely. This is an obvious insult.

Everyone can make a mistake, so, please be patient and objective.

I don't think there was anything shady going on, but I say that only because I came in person to pick up my lots. Had I been bidding from another city and patiently waiting to get my invoice via email or snail mail, I don't know what I would have thought once I was informed of what had happened. It certainly would have appeared less than honest. In person it was easier for them to assuage my disappointment. They were very polite and visibly embarrassed when I talked to them. They said that the online part of the auction was outsourced to another company and the software was new and not clear, and the operator made a mistakes and there were others in the same situation as me. So I think all of that is plain poor organization rather than a sign of shady dealings. With that said, poor organization is a good enough reason for many to be more cautious next time. For my part, I doubt I would bid online with them again, and doubt even more that I would ever consign with them.

Nice buy indeed. I, on the other hand, had an unpleasant experience with the New York Sale. I bid online:

Sorry to hear about that. I've never had any problem with NY Sale in years of bidding and buying, but it's always been from the floor. There is, I suspect, still a marked lag on internet bids. Several times during the auction an internet bid 'ding' could be heard from the computers at the front even after the auctioneer (who can move quickly at times) had closed the lot. Sometimes he would reopen the lot, sometimes he'd move on.

:art:

Steve

I would suggest avoiding statements like the one above completely. This is an obvious insult.

Everyone can make a mistake, so, please be patient and objective.

Was not trying to offend anyone, just speaking from my personal experience and feedback received from others.

nice coins, guys!

Sorry to hear about your trouble, porcupine. Did you happen to find out why one of the 1762 Peter III 2 kopeks was withdrawn? Just curious.

No, didn't find out. When I went to view the lots it had already been withdrawn and Dmitry wasn't yet there to answer questions. Doubt I would have asked anyway.

I was there on Friday only. Had to take off work, because I had a busy schedule on Saturday and was not going to pay $100 on Thursday.

I am happy I went. Here are the results:

p1070296z.jpg

p1070299.jpg

p1070303z.jpg

I also got a 1771 em polushka in vf/xf, but it is not as exciting a coin...

What did you get?

Hello everyone ! Happy New year !

I may be wrong and my old eyes may not be as clear as years ago but this 5 kopeks do not exactly match known pieces. Are you sure it is genuine ?

As always, yours

Wow, some nice buys there, gentlemen! I look forward to the Chicago shows in April and August. It has been fifteen or twenty years since I have been to a foreign-exclusive coin show. I salivate at the thought of looking for some Paul I copper.

Hello everyone ! Happy New year !

I may be wrong and my old eyes may not be as clear as years ago but this 5 kopeks do not exactly match known pieces. Are you sure it is genuine ?

As always, yours

Regarding the 1726 Plate 5K...

If it's out of one of Jim Elmen's World Wide sales then I have no doubts. If I remember correctly, according to Jim it's one of the 1870 Novodels.

Best,

Steve

Archived