CoinPeople.com

Hunting down Chinese province coinage

gxseries

Nice write-up. The situation with counterfeit Chinese coins is so bad that some TPGs would not even authenticate them. Finding authentic specimens in better grades is most assuredly quite the challenge. I have hundreds of early 20th century cash coins I still need to go through myself. When first starting out, the Chinese characters could well be intimidating, but after a while certain phrases, dynasty/ruler characters, and denominations kinda stick on you, even if you do not read the language.

Would love to do a lot more with Chinese coins, especially the Imperial era, but I think nowadays with all the fakes, and the high prices I will just stick to what I know about with cash coins and Song and Northern Sung Dynasty era coins. The only more modern, well over 100 years old now that I look for are the coins from Jiangxi and minted in Nanchang. I remember in China we were in a museum in Nanchang and I started reading the characters for the denomination on a coin - the guide with us was a bit startled that I knew what they were!

Good write-ups and site, and nice Kashgar 5 qian! I had a chance to pick up some Kashgar pieces (1 - 5 qian) for about $50 each a few years ago. Passed on them, but looking back it probably won't be easy to get a second chance, or at those prices.

Actually ccg, if you look REALLY hard, you might be able to pick some Xinjiang 5 qian for 50 dollars each even in today's market. Probably in F grade or less but doable. Picked up a G example for half that price. In fact, it seems to me that it's more abundant compared to other provinces which I thought would have more silver coins in circulation. For instance, Anhui, Jiangnan, Sichuan (nearby province) and so forth. Xinjiang silver coinage has a really large variety - probably enough to keep one occupied for the rest of his life. :yes:

Contary to that, Jilin province silver coins are easier to find compared to their copper coins. Figures. :wallbash: The search is still on. :)

Just picked up a really really nice Jiangnan copper coin - easily in XF grade. Won a Gansu coin so that's one down. Most of them are thankfully affordable.

Archived