CoinPeople.com

1794/3 EM 1 Kopek

lennysky

Here is a larger image of the date

The Brekke/Bakken supplement of 1997 lists 1794/3-EM but no 1794/0, so I would be inclined to think it should be a 3 on the undercoin. It is marked as "rare" (-) in that book; it is unlisted in the original Brekke book of 1977.

The interesting thing about 1793-EM 1 kopeck is that it is not known except as an overstrike of Paul I, and of that there exists only one known specimen which is in the Hermitage Museum. There were no business strikes made in 1793 at Ekaterinburg, but apparently those dies had been prepared and the date repunched to 1794 later on.

I would hold on to it! :bthumbsup:

The Brekke/Bakken supplement of 1997 lists 1794/3-EM but no 1794/0, so I would be inclined to think it should be a 3 on the undercoin. It is marked as "rare" (-) in that book; it is unlisted in the original Brekke book of 1977.

The interesting thing about 1793-EM 1 kopeck is that it is not known except as an overstrike of Paul I, and of that there exists only one known specimen which is in the Hermitage Museum. There were no business strikes made in 1793 at Ekaterinburg, but apparently those dies had been prepared and the date repunched to 1794 later on.

I would hold on to it! :bthumbsup:

Well, the 1794 is a busy date in general. These days the 4/3 is much more common than the clean date; I have images of lots of them. I don't think a Rare grade would hold up any more. While there are clean dates, of course, there are others which look like a sloppy 4/1, and a couple which may be 4/0, at least looking at the upper left of the 4. Hard to be sure though.

Steve

Image: Possible 4/0

I can carefully presume that it is 94/0 from the picture given :art:

I think I see what might be the tip of the top bar in "3" peeking out from under the diagonal bar of "4" at its left side, and the round part at the bottom seems a bit too small to me to be the remnants of a "0". I still vote for 1794/3.

post #2 picture has no sign of "3" in my opinion :)

sorry, I can't see any indication of "3" from this and earlier picture :)

That does not mean its not there. I my opinion, based on proximity of years minted, the coin is much more likely to be 4/3 than 4/0. Otherwise, I would have leaned towards the 4/0.

once again, based on your couple pictures, there is no sign of "3" but clearly of ZERO :)

I would't pay a hundred for this coin, may be half :)

Still need better photos Lennysky. Sorry :(

I reckon you can trade that coin for a rather decent camera. Maybe a little photography technique that you can try - don't try to photograph the coin too close up. What I recommand is to have good lights and then adjust the white balance. It shouldn't make the photograph too yellowish. Next try to photograph the coin about 15cm away but not too close. Use the macro setting and see if it helps. :)

BKB was telling me the same. I tried a few things under the lighting conditions I have, but it did not work.

What I must do is create good lighting and then play with distances/ballance.

BTW, if you think I can trade the coin for a really good camera, I will take it as a compliment on my coin :yahoo:

Lenny, even with a 3MP compact camera, you should be able to take reasonably clear photos. Most of my recent photos are taken with a Ricoh 5mp camera. I think it is a Caplio R2 but even so, most of the photos I have taken were reduced down to 3MP. I think my photos are not too bad unless you think that's not the case. :sorry: Mind if I ask what camera you have there? Might be able to give a better tip.

It's a real shame because I know you have really nice coins but I can't see clearly what you got there. I don't follow this series carefully but I will be surprised if it goes for less than 100USD to the right people. And with 100USD for 10MP camera (I think it has gone to that cheap), I can assure you that you can get excellent photos with the right technique. That would mean more amazing photos to come from you. :yes:

Archived