CoinPeople.com

5 kopeken 1913

PeterShell

My friend just told me that among many other coins he found 5 kopeken 1913 but with smooth (not reeded ! ) edge...

The weight is Ok.. no visible harm to the coin.. so the explanaition is

- they didn't make edge...

Have you ever met this type ? :confus:

Any of the catalogues mention this ?

My friend just told me that among many other coins he found 5 kopeken 1913 but with smooth (not reeded ! ) edge...

The weight is Ok.. no visible harm to the coin.. so the explanaition is

- they didn't make edge...

Have you ever met this type ? :confus:

Any of the catalogues mention this ?

It might be a mint error of some kind. Or it could be damage. There were some rare roubles, poltinas and some gold coins (I think) made in that period of Nicholas II which have a plain edge, but I have never seen any reference to minors of lesser denomination with a plain edge.

Once I had a modern 2 Franc coin (Swiss, I live there) with no reeds on the edge. Took it to a dealer who said this commonly occurs with coins which are kept in some kind of dispenser such as for giving change, perhaps by a ticket salesman at a market or outdoors variety show. They are constantly turning within the metal holder which eventually grinds off the reeds. I didn't weigh the coin, but aside from normal circulation, the only thing noticeable about the coin was that the edge was perfectly smooth.

Maybe this happened to your 5 kopeck? Is it well circulated?

Took it to a dealer who said this commonly occurs with coins which are kept in some kind of dispenser such as for giving change, perhaps by a ticket salesman at a market or outdoors variety show. They are constantly turning within the metal holder which eventually grinds off the reeds. I didn't weigh the coin, but aside from normal circulation, the only thing noticeable about the coin was that the edge was perfectly smooth.

Maybe this happened to your 5 kopeck? Is it well circulated?

The difference is horizontal lines (wear)vs. vertical lines (original) on the edge. This is the only way to tell that I know. If the coin is very worn, then, it does not matter, because there is no way to establish what it was (IMXO)

Archived