CoinPeople.com

Goals for next year

gxseries

As the year comes to an end, there's always good and bad. I was struggling for a while since last year as it was difficult to find work. That of course meant that I was buying lower grade coins but that doesn't mean that I haven't found anything interesting. In particular, I have been looking at Chinese coins as it has kept me interested, not just to distinguish from counterfeits and originals but as well as some rarity that might be hiding. If you have read some of my other posts, I have been noticing prices have been shooting a few folds from the middle of this year. Makes me wonder if I follow the fad or someone is tracking what I'm buying :lol:

Nevertheless here are my plans for next year:

- Update my homepage. It has been a while as I had to move from one state to another and I still don't have my photograph equipment and software.

- Start working on wiki page of Russian coins. Check the Russian coin forum for more information.

- Look for type set for Chinese, Russian coins. An Imperial platinum coin would be nice.

- Look out for all dates and varities for Korean coins. North Korea doesn't count.

- Slowly add in Japanese coins.

- Probably add more books to my collection as well

- Forgot to add this one: get rid of my extra duplicates to free up extra cash to obtain other coins. Assuming if I can even find them in the first place... :lol:

What's your plan for 2011? :)

My plans:

- Get better at taking photos; try to create a better setup (The new photography forum should help!)

- Find a new "fun" series to collect. Perhaps South Africa.

- Bid on and win a Heritage auction for a coin I reeaallly want

- Get rid of some/most of my Canadian dupes (mostly mid grade large cents)

- Cut down on the amount of stuff in my personal junk bin, Ebay, giveaways, whatever it takes

- Save most of the coin budget for a few very high end coins rather than multiple decent coins. Looking back at my spreadsheet I've already started on this goal, I made relatively few purchases in 2010, but some of them were doozies.

1. I would like to learn how to take coin photos in the first place. This necessitates a camera. Which brings me to item number two....

2. Buy a camera.

3. Complete a short set of one of the series I am collecting.

4. Help my daughter complete a short set of English large cents.

5. Reduce duplicates and use cash to purchase at least one AU/MS Paul I piece.

6. Get involved in something like gxseries is planning with with Wiki.

my goal is the same as every year,

*keep looking for coins to enhance my collection even more,

*never buy junk issues from countries who produce coins like confetti,

*finally complete the cataloguing of my bank note collection,

*continue to offer help and advice to new collectors.

*find more union bank of scotland notes to add to my collection.

- Forgot to add this one: get rid of my extra duplicates to free up extra cash to obtain other coins. Assuming if I can even find them in the first place...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've been saying that for about 50 years now and it just never happens. :hysterical: I try to think about doing that every year. And as I just said, I try to think about doing that. Presently have 9 of those Whitman 2 row for 2x2's cardboard boxes full of duplicates.

1) Catalogue and photograph all of my coins.

2) Sell some more of my lesser-liked coins.

3) Become more involved with academic writing.

4) Purchase many more Anglo-Saxon pennies.

5) Upgrade my Henry III Voided Longcross mint run to VF+.

Well my list so far.

1) Send out my 2010 Christmas card. A bit late but not really all that bad for me.

2) Get a setup that allows me to repeatedly get solid photos of my coins.

3) Photograph my collection (I might as well really catalog them while I'm at it.)

4) Sell some silver and stuff that I have no real desire to keep. (Have you seen the price of silver. :shock: )

5) Purchase plan --

- US Mint 2011 Annual sets (proof, proof silver, mint)

- ?

6) Finish my paper/article/whatever on Souvenir Cards.

4) Sell some silver and stuff that I have no real desire to keep. (Have you seen the price of silver. :shock: )

Yeah tell me about it!

I was going to try and buy some more junk silver (not having looked at the spot price since the summer), I thought 'I'm not paying that much, for that little silver!", but everywhere was as bad so I thought i'd check the going rate and I nearly fell off my seat!

So I think now is the time to sell my horrible 'dipped' bubbled surface junk. It's been slowly acumulating coin by coin as I've culled the worst from various bulk purchases.

1) Lose 10-15 pounds

2) Get a setup that allows me to repeatedly get solid photos of my coins (Thanks Art!)

3) Add more Pidcocks (London) Conder Tokens to my set

4) Sell unwanted material to afford #3

5) Win the $300 Million Mega Millions lottery. :shock:

1) Lose 10-15 pounds

2) Get a setup that allows me to repeatedly get solid photos of my coins (Thanks Art!)

3) Add more Pidcocks (London) Conder Tokens to my set

4) Sell unwanted material to afford #3

5) Win the $300 Million Mega Millions lottery. :shock:

Noble goals. I'll be posting info on my photo setup in the photo thread as I move forward with it. Right now I have a digital SLR with two zoom lenses and a set of extension tubes. So I'll start from there. I have to get room in my garage to setup some lights etc. but it's full of old appliances right now.

Will you be sharing the $300 million with us?

I'm fairly new to coin collecting and without a steady job at the moment, so I can't have too many hefty goals for the year in terms of coin collecting...

I guess my main goal is finishing my small Canadian one cent collection (I'm missing 1920 - 1959 with a few I already have). Hopefully, I can get some bundle deals!

Otherwise it's snagging up some good deals on rarer Canadian coins - i.e. Possibly a good value 1925 George V Canadian 5 cent piece.

I wish a happy hunting to everyone in 2011!

-Jekkoh-

I am adding one to my previous goal.

Get 1 "nice" coin for every 100 years ("Nice" is going to be hard to define. )

Continue my Morgan quest. Just may take a back burner to the 100 year deal. But I won't turn down a chance at a morgan I really need in my date set.

Been on the back burner, working on the 1826 and 1876 U.S. dates. But another take the back seat unless I find one I really want.

• Get back on the Jefferson Project. Once I've got the tougher dates handled, the rest should go pretty quickly. But unemployment (or as I'm in now, low-wage employment) really sucks and slows down such plans. Start setting aside for early proofs, which are still only a tentative part of the set in my mind, but I will probably go after them eventually.
  • Keep adding to the birth year set.
  • Run some tests on a custom display method I've got in mind (not sure if the material I want to make the holder from has any unfortunate effects on coins).
  • Keep researching the project mmarotta suggested.

Other than that... whatever's shiny and catches my eye. :)

Archived