If anyone wants to add one/few other auctions pls do so:

January 3-4 The 39th NYINC Show, Heritage, New York USA

January 06 The 39th NYINC Show, The New York Sale XXVI New York USA

January 07 The 39th NYINC Show, Ponterio, New York USA

January 08 The 39th NYINC Show, Kolbe & Fanning, New York USA

January 10 The 39th NYINC Show, Stack's, New York USA

January 11 The 39th NYINC Show, Heritage 3013, New York USA

January 21-22 Cayón Auction, Madrid, Spain

January 27 Kunker 181 Germany (5 rubles 1907)

January 29 Moneti i Medali 67, Moscow Russia

P.S. Internet auctions 24/7 with russian coinage:

ebay.com

molotok.ru

P.S. All dates of auctions taken from sixbid.com, m-dv.ru and private calls :)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

On January 8, 2011, numismatic booksellers Kolbe & Fanning will conduct a public auction sale at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York City in conjunction with the New York International Numismatic Convention. The sale features 500 lots of rare and desirable works of numismatic interest, including highlights from the superb Alan Luedeking Latin American numismatic Library, classic nineteenth- and early twentieth-century works on Russian coins and medals from the library of Dr. Ira Rezak, the Dr. Jeff Hosford collection of Crosbyana, key works on ancient coins, and great classic works on American numismatics, some from the library of the New Netherlands Coin Company. Additional consignors to the sale include Norwegian numismatist Jan Olav Aamlid, Minnesota dealer Allan Davisson and the estate of the late Northern California coin dealer Robert R. Johnson. There are any number of rarities in the sale, covering the numismatic spectrum.

A printed catalogue may be obtained by sending $25 to: KOLBE & FANNING NUMISMATIC BOOKSELLERS LLC, 141 W JOHNSTOWN ROAD, GAHANNA OH 43230-2700. The catalogue is also accessible free of charge at Kolbe & Fanning website: www.numislit.com.

The sale features no fewer than seven original editions of Sylvester Crosby’s Early Coins of America, including two from the library of the author and five other quite special copies. Other American rarities include an original 1925 Browning work on quarter dollars annotated by Walter Breen; a nice 1921 John Story Jenks sale with original photographic plates; three Eckfeldt and Du Bois works featuring actual gold examples from the California Gold Rush; a superb deluxe leather-bound set of the virtually unknown 1881 edition of Loubat’s Medallic History of the United States; all three of James Mease’s extremely rare 1821-1838 works on United States numismatics, the earliest works on the topic written from a numismatic perspective; B. Max Mehl’s own set of Mehl’s Numismatic Monthly; George Woodside’s own annotated copy, with plates, of the 1892 sale catalogue of his collection of United States pattern coins; the unique and extensive numismatic archive of Chicagoan Michael A. Powills, a noted coin collector prominent in American Numismatic Association affairs and the leading numismatic book dealer of his time, containing many thousands of letters from the key movers and shakers in American numismatics, circa 1930-1980; papers relating to the Dr. John E. Wilkison collection of United States pattern gold coins; and a deluxe edition of Valentine’s famed 1924 work on fractional currency, annotated by Walter Breen.

Classic works on medieval and modern coins and medals include a superb set of the 1791 Beskrivelse over Danske Mynter og Medailler from the library of the Prime Minister of Denmark, along with other classic works on Scandinavian numismatics including the extremely rare supplement to the Beskrivelse; a number of rare and important 16th- and 17th-century merchant guides, often termed “Coin Books”; several very rare works on coining technology; rarities on Scottish and English numismatics from the Allan Davisson library; the first 21 volumes of Rivista Italiana, 1888-1908; the firm’s own annotated copies of over 300 Glendining & Co. auction catalogues, 1966-1986; and two leather-bound presentation volumes on Canadian numismatics written by Alfred Sandham.

Desirable works on Russian numismatics include an exceptionally fine set of the Grand-Duc Georges Michaïlovitch’s 1916 Monnaies de l’Empire de Russie, from the library of Frank Sternberg; a nice complete set of the Russian edition of Chaudoir; most of the key early and mid-twentieth century auction sales of Russian coins; Hutten Czapski’s very rare 1875 treatise on early Russian coins; and rare titles by Iversen, Oreshnikov, Sontsov, Count Tolstoi, and others.Nearly 150 highlights from the Luedeking library of Latin American numismatics are featured, among them virtually all of the great classic works, including a complete run of José Toribio Medina’s principal numismatic works and several minor Medinas as well; the unique bid-book of the 1878 Fonrobert Central America auction sale; 14 lots of invaluable checklists of Latin American and Caribbean tokens compiled by David Henkle; rare Meili and Alejandro Rosa works; along with various seldom-encountered periodicals and virtually complete sets of specialized auction sale catalogues on the topic. It is the most comprehensive library on the topic ever handled by Kolbe & Fanning. The balance of the library will be sold in a Spring 2011 Kolbe & Fanning sale, as will remaining works from the Rezak library.

Key works on ancient numismatics include a complete set of Ernest Babelon’s landmark Traité des Monnaies Grecques et Romaines; an original set of Eckhel’s 1792–98 Doctrina Numorum Veterum in an armorial binding; the Chapman brothers annotated salesroom copy of the famous 1905 Jacob Hirsch auction sale of the Rhousopoulos collection of ancient Greek coins; a number of key antiquarian works on ancient coins; and Andreas Alföldi’s exceptionally fine set of Mazzini’s five-volume Monete Imperiale Romane.

Inquiries may be directed to David F. Fanning at df@numislit.com, (614) 414-0855, or to George F. Kolbe at gfk@numislit.com, (909) 338-6527.

January is definetly a month for New York International Numismatic Convention :bhyper:

What happend to the UBS January sale?

From UBS site:

We would like to inform you that our auction previously planned for January 2011 will be postponed until the second quarter of 2011. You will be notified as soon as the new auction date has been set.

From UBS site:

We would like to inform you that our auction previously planned for January 2011 will be postponed until the second quarter of 2011. You will be notified as soon as the new auction date has been set.

Heh, heh ... hope they are using the extra time to check for fakes!

Thanks!

sorry, late for respond - holidays, yes, it is postponed, and who is on their mailing list including myself were notified about that :)

• 5 weeks later...

don't miss 5 gold rubles 1907 on Kunker :bhyper:

https://www.kuenker.de/AuktionDetail.kuenker?rownum=1189&backid=ib634318121218358750&lager=00061&los=1484

Estimate: 12,500 €

Hammer: 56,000 €

:swoon:

I never received an answer to the email I sent to Künker wondering why this coin isn't proof. :confus:

I never received an answer to the email I sent to Künker wondering why this coin isn't proof. :confus:

This is a meaningful silence. Have you been watching the thread on Staraya Moneta? I find it amusing that they (Künker) have finally admitted, although inofficially and apparently reluctantly, that it is "fast stempelglanz aus polierten stempeln". I am afraid that now, when the coin has been sold, the mystery of what it really is - and first of all if this coin is genuine - will remain unsolved.

This is a meaningful silence. Have you been watching the thread on Staraya Moneta? I find it amusing that they (Künker) have finally admitted, although inofficially and apparently reluctantly, that it is "fast stempelglanz aus polierten stempeln". I am afraid that now, when the coin has been sold, the mystery of what it really is - and first of all if this coin is genuine - will remain unsolved.

I haven't been to that forum (Staraya Moneta) in a long time. Do you have a direct link to the thread?

Thanks, altyn! :art:

Someone over there was wondering if it went to Switzerland ... IT WASN'T ME!!! :hysterical:

I possibly meant numismatik genevensis (A Baron)

Archived