CoinPeople.com

Goerge III Counterstamp Help!

filnumis

Hi everyone,

I'm new in this forum and just recently acquired a large number of coins from a British coin collector. I found a counterstamp George III on a 4 reales Spain but I have not seen this type of counterstamp in any reference book that I have. Help on information is much appreciated. Thank you.img426.jpg

Do you have a copy of Spink 2010 Coins of England? Its in there page 407.

Im sure if there is something in particular you would like to know about it then someone on here will know.

Described at the time as 'the head of a fool stamped on the neck of an ass'. This is official British emergency money, a Spanish reales, counterstamped with the head of George III. Struck at a time when Britain was struggling with silver shortages, resulting in failure to provide normal silver coin of the realm in adequate quantities for circulation. The Bank of England added these counterstamps of the Goldsmith's Company under a British Treasury warrant issued March 3, 1797.

Check this link for info re Birmingham Forgeries which also mentions the legal counterstamped reales.

http://www.coincommunity.com/articles/swamperbob_8_reales_birmingham_counterfeit.asp

The Bank of England added these counterstamps of the Goldsmith's Company under a British Treasury warrant issued March 3, 1797.

I thought it kind of looked like one of the tax stamps found on some Georgian silverware!

Archived