CoinPeople.com

Help w/ CWT -- "Dix" attribution

According to the descriptions in the Rulau book on p. 548, this should be die #410. However, since there are no images depicted for dies 409 and 410, I can't be sure:

410:

outer circle (Yes);

S of "SHOOT" below A of "ATTEMPT";

T of "SPOT" between I & T of "IT";

H of "HIM" between S of "ATTEMPTS" and T of "TO".

CWT_1863_Flag_Of_Our_Union_Dix_rev.jpg

Does this sound right? Thanks... :art:

Excellent ... thank you very much, this kind of info is exactly what I was hoping for! :art:

Here's another puzzle. This appears to be die #87, but there is no "H" between the date and the bust:

CWT_1863_Not_One_Cent_Indian_obv.thumb.jpg

Link to http://cwt.michigano.org/Civil_War_Patriotic_Token_Die_List_7.htm

Comparing it with the "deficient quality" images at -1- and -2-, which like mine are very weakly struck, I tend to think that it just didn't strike up properly at the "H". But perhaps it is a variety? The "H" is entirely visible on the other images inspite of the date being weakly struck. Or was it merely the result of a filled die?

Here is the image at -2-:

0087%204%20vw.jpg

It does appear to be #87, it cannot be any of the other dies shown, that is for sure. Seeing that parts of the 8 & 3 are filled on your example, it could be the H was completely filled & any sign of it has rubbed away. The only things I can think of is that the H was added to the die after your token was struck, or that it is an unlisted variety, mind yours does appear to be struck on a smaller planchet(see the different spaces between date & edge) or is that just because your token is picture at a different angle?

It does appear to be #87, it cannot be any of the other dies shown, that is for sure. Seeing that parts of the 8 & 3 are filled on your example, it could be the H was completely filled & any sign of it has rubbed away. The only things I can think of is that the H was added to the die after your token was struck, or that it is an unlisted variety, mind yours does appear to be struck on a smaller planchet(see the different spaces between date & edge) or is that just because your token is picture at a different angle?

It does look like a smaller planchet -- unfortunately, this is in the bank at the moment with the rest of my collection, so I will have to make a note to measure it soon.

That would be cool if it is a new undiscovered variety! All we would need is to have a few more specimens... :pilot:

Archived