CoinPeople.com

Coin Sets - Are You working On Any?

DJV

Here's a few of mine:

http://[http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm

Australia current circulating coinage pulled from circulation (1966-present)

Finnish coin year set 1963-1993

Modern Japan coin year set (1870-1950)

Current Japan coin year set (1948-current)

Korean year set (1888-1910)

South Korean modern year set (1959-present)

General type set - Imperial Russian silver coins (1802-1917)

General type set - Imperial Russian copper coins (1700-1801)

General type set - Imperial Russian copper coins (1802-1917)

Last Russian Imperial Copper coins year set (1867-1916)

Soviet Union year set (1921 - 1957)

Soviet Union year set (1961 - 1992)

Soviet Ni-cupro commemorative coins (1965-1991)

Modern Russian coins year set (1992 - present)

US State Quarters year set (1999-2008)

Nickel Westward Nickel Series year set (2004,5)

Presidential Dollars year set (2007+)

Doable but just require a lot of patience as well as a bit of money I guess.

I've taken to a few sets, but so far I have only been collecting from circulation

Lincoln Cents 1959-2008 (uncirculated only after 1982; finished about a year ago)

Nickels 1938-1963 (nearly complete, only missing the key dates and a couple war nickels)

State/Territory/Park Quarters (missing a few mint marks in high grades)

Halves 1964-2010 (missing several rare dates and some of the post '01 coins)

SBA Dollars 1979-1999 (complete except for the '82s and '99-D)

Sac Dollars 2000-2010 (missing most of the '02-'08 range)

President dollars 2007-2010 (will probably spend most of them; this is getting expensive)

I don't see much point in collecting circulated quarters/dimes/nickels past '65 since none are particularly rare and will probably circulate for at least 30-50 more years. Nickels and half dollars are my favorite to collect by far. Nickels are cheap and a relatively reliable source of old coins, and half dollars are just fun to spend when you're done with them.

My main emphasis these days is my Roosevelt dimes set. I'm also working on Jefferson nickels and at the moment Kennedy half dollars.

The main sets:

- $1 silver certificates beginning 1923 - all signatures, stars, and major varieties. The biggest ones are left and will take years to accumulate the budget just for a few of them. :/

- Peace dollars - 1934-D, S, 1935-S remaining

- Barber dimes - XF+ - proofs included. a long way to go but I've made good progress this year.

- V Nicks - XF+ - proofs included. a long way to go but I've made good progress this year here too.

- Walking Halves - late series - slabbed MS65+ and proof 65+ - some progress. I only visit this one when I find something nice. Mostly investment/neat finds.

Occasionally I'll pick up something pretty in other places.

No sets that I'm actively pursuing - other than making the odd trade for upgrades to my British milled farthing-shilling predecimal type set.

Am also slowly working on Fiji silver sixpence by date.

• 4 weeks later...

Birth Year world set: all circulating coins from 1963; estimated no more than 1/3 complete (there's more than I thought!)

The Jefferson Project: Complete run of Jefferson nickels in MS60 or better. Still in early days

In Soviet Russia, Coin Collects YOU!: Soviet-era Russian coins

She Blinded Me With Coinage: coins with a science theme (at least the sciences that interest me -- physics, astronomy, chemistry, cosmology, and space travel issues as well)

Washington clad quarters from circulation

Roosevelt clad dimes from circulation

Jefferson nickels from circulation

Polish of any kind

Pre-Decimal British

Anything else that makes me go "Ooo!" :D

I have a lot of date runs in series that are lacking many of the key dates, such as Morgan dollars. Don't know if I will ever be able to finish that one unless I can find some cheap fillers for the keys somewhere. The few series which I have been concentrating on in the past couple of years or so are closest to completion:

USA, Indian Head cents ... missing about 1/2 dozen dates here and there, but I do have 1877, 1908-S and 1864-L. 1860 pointed bust seems rather difficult to find these days, although it shouldn't be particularly rare. Target grade is XF/AU or better. 1877 is only F-12, though (my grade). My Indian cents

Russia, silver 50 kopecks of Nicholas II -- missing only 1904 and 1906 plus the impossible proof-only issues 1898 and 1903. Looking for AU or better, but some rare dates are only F/VF. My 50 kopeck coins

U.S. commemorative 50 cents: My Booker T. Washington and Carver/Washington series in UNC are both growing nicely, but are nowhere near being complete. My BTW commems ... My GWC/BTW commems

A few "small" sets on the go.

1) Circulated sovereigns, a date set here? Mintmarks unimportant. ON GOING

2) Philadelphia Standing Liberty Quarters in UNC grades (1917-1930)

45% complete & ON GOING

3) GB Ten pences all types & varieties (1992-Present)

90% complete and ON GOING, SPORADICALLY

4) Half Guinea monarch set (1669-1811)

30% complete, NOT A PRIORITY

5) George II Young Head sixpences (1728-1741)

10% complete, NOT A PRIORITY

6) Anglo-Saxon two line type pennies by monarch (899-975)

50% complete, NOT A PRIORITY

I have thought about doing a Titanic Year gold set, already got $2.5, $5, £1 covered, but not really sure whether to persue this as the other sets are enough to see me to 2030 at the very least!

Archived