CoinPeople.com

Series 591 $5 mpc

William Travis Focker

Doesn't appear to be in bad shape. I'm not sure of the rarity on this one but some are extremely hard to find and very very expensive.

I'm slightly concerned that some of my older holders are pvc, but not sure how to test other than just sniffing them, which is inconclusive. Most of my notes are also in individual sleeves, many of the older sleeves are the stiff kind.

I would be more than slightly concerned - there is nothing more humiliating than realising too late that something you have owned for awhile is destroyed because of the way it was stored. Years ago I owned a 1926 North of Scotland Bank Pound note that was very rare, when I bought it I bought it for the rarity - not thinking about the PVC damage it had. I couldn't tolerate the smell of the thing and sold it for a pittance. I have not destroyed banknotes, but have gotten the slimy green destruction on a few coins that I holdered in PVC garbage back when I was a kid.

As a general statement, PVC and vinyl will have a soft, flexible feel, and possibly a bit of an oily feel to the surface. Mylar-D (which isn't made anymore to my knowledge, but the good products are the same compound) has a harder feel to it, like you could snap the edge with a fingernail, and just feels "cleaner" somehow.

Hope that helps, it's hard to describe without seeing the two next to each other.

Dave

As a general statement, PVC and vinyl will have a soft, flexible feel, and possibly a bit of an oily feel to the surface. Mylar-D (which isn't made anymore to my knowledge, but the good products are the same compound) has a harder feel to it, like you could snap the edge with a fingernail, and just feels "cleaner" somehow.

Hope that helps, it's hard to describe without seeing the two next to each other.

Dave

Oh, crap. Lot of my older pages are probably pvc then. Would they be usable if I put the notes in known mylar holders and then put the holders in the pages, or should I replace regardless?

Are most "top loader" type holders (thin but sealed on 3 sides) made of PVC?

I think many folks do that, mylar holders slipped in pages that are of questionable content. I use Lighthouse pages and haven't been able to find what they're really made of, but I know my holders are good.

Don't know on your second question.

Dave

Archived