CoinPeople.com

1801 Rouble С.М. А.И.

russia_coins

What do you think about this coin ? Is it original ?

Personally I think so. But the edge is strange, maybe just polished or ex-jewelry ?

looks geniune to me too, edge has littlel blurry pic, also hard to say from a pic itself if it was used for jewerly :)

looks geniune to me too, edge has littlel blurry pic, also hard to say from a pic itself if it was used for jewerly :)

It's suspicious to me because the degree of wear on the tablet side is not commensurate with the wear pattern on the obverse. Why would a coin be worn like that? The only possible explanation would be that the die was severely bowed and the tablet side wasn't struck up, but it doesn't seem right to me.

Yes, the wear is unequal but I think this type of wear is common on the tablet if I'm not mistaken, because of the strike weakness. Same type of wear is seen on Alexander I 1802-1809 roubles. Anyways, is there any known copies of the 1801 Rouble ? I saw a real ugly one from 1798 on eBay lately, not even needed to enlarge the picture :angry:

At one stage I owned 5 Peter I ruble coins. It looks ok to me.

901680.jpg

905448.jpg

905453.jpg

Because these coins were struck without a collar as well as the text on the edge is extrusive, NOT instrusive, funny things can happen. Previous silver rubles were reeded diagonally. Probably text edging was done more than 50 years before. They got rid of the extrusive edging in the following year if not a few years later. Sorry, can't rememeber them off my head.

So yes, you should be able to read the edge easier if the wear isn't that bad. Mine is clearly readable on the 1799 ruble but the other two aren't so.

At one stage I owned 5 Peter I ruble coins. It looks ok to me.

901680.jpg

905448.jpg

905453.jpg

Because these coins were struck without a collar as well as the text on the edge is extrusive, NOT instrusive, funny things can happen. Previous silver rubles were reeded diagonally. Probably text edging was done more than 50 years before. They got rid of the extrusive edging in the following year if not a few years later. Sorry, can't rememeber them off my head.

So yes, you should be able to read the edge easier if the wear isn't that bad. Mine is clearly readable on the 1799 ruble but the other two aren't so.

gxseries, the first one is nice! It should cost about $1,500 or more by now. Do you still have it?

Kopeikin yes I still own all three. The first one, I rate it as VF as there's wear on the 4 crowns and the letters "P" so therefore I think 1500USD is too high. I would consider selling if it's at that ridicious price but all three rubles are in another country at the moment. I don't have any higher resolution photos as my other laptop with all my coin images are in another city! :wallbash:

I remember I tried looking for a 1801 ruble so that I would have a nice run of Paul I ruble coins. Now try looking for a poltina and a polupoltinnk - those two coins are insane difficult.

If that one is worth $1500. What do you think these are worth?

1797q.jpg

1798.jpg

Wow. Nice! You've got all the best coins, don't you? :) Those look familiar - have we seen those before?

To answer your question, I'd guess that those would sell for somewhere between $10k to $20k each nowadays. What do you think?

Archived