CoinPeople.com

Chinese coins are hitting ridicious high prices

gxseries

As stated in my topic, I have been looking at Chinese coins and of course I don't mean counterfeit coins.

Prices have been shooting up REALLY high. For instance, if you look at all those Chinese crown size silver dollar coins, if genuine and in a reasonable condition not damaged, they are hitting easily in terms of hundrends if not thousands. :shock:

Even modern Chinese coins are way too hot. Like this one: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574633083&toolid=10001&campid=5335826004&customid=&icep_item=360302735038&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg Got gobsmacked on that one.

Proof coins from 1980s are commanding really high prices. So maybe it is worthwhile to check your coin dealer and see if he's got some Chinese coins.

It's one of those "why do prices shoot up when I show serious interest" thing :doh:

There are coin shops in China, peddling practically everything from ancients to modern Chinese sets. In fact I saw older coins for sale everywhere I was except in Beijing for some reason. And prices, if you haggled like the Chinese are experts at, you got them at good prices.

gold10yuan.jpg

I'm just a Panda lover myself :)

I bought a couple of 1 oz silver ones just today..

Getting the hard to find copper panda and a silver one for Christmas (1993 & 1994 i think) - cant wait..

:yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...

Wa She Wong Auction, Hong Kong by Ponterio and Associates in Hong Kong.

Report I've heard so far

"The first 200 lots took four hours! Over 300 people packed the room, and floor bidders were the most active I've ever seen at any coin auction. Lots were bid from $100 to $27,500, $700 to $70,000 etc. Several lots in the six figures and almost every lot selling for multiples of the presale estimates.

Lot 311, a rare Flying Dragon Szechuan pattern struck in copper just hammered for $400,000 (presale estimate was $10,000-15,000). The 200-strong crowd (and it's 1:00 a.m. now) erupted in applause, while other collectors congratulated the winning bidder."

This is exactly the same post I made at Collectors Universe but it seems everyone is wondering about the prices of Chinese coins so I'm posting it here too!

Prices for Chinese coins are crazy now. Basically, I think it's a bubble akin to the US real estate market in 2007 or internet stocks in 2000. Prices are up 500% and more from sales just 2 or 3 years ago. For example lot 132 a Fookien Ration dollar went for $11,50. In 2008 Champion Auctions sold two ex-Kann[!] coins in the same grade for about $2500 each. Lot 318 a Ju-I Military Ration dollar hammered at $25,875. Champion sold one about 3 years ago for around $2900 [which was pedigreed to a 1971 Christie's sale]. Michael Chou told me common Hupeh and Kiangnan dollars that would have sold for $30 two years ago are no going for $200!

Living in Taipei, I see many signs of Chinese money pushing up asset prices. Real estate in Taipei, Hong Kong, China and even Vancouver are reaching new highs. Taipei prices have doubled in the past 4-5 years. The Economist magazine has published several stories over the past year or so commenting on the ever rising prices of garlic, traditional Chinese medicines as well as the more traditional assets of gold and real estate.

I think the problem ultimately goes to China's booming economy and it's cheap currency. As US dollars flow into China to buy its exports the government must increase the total pile of foreign reserves it holds as it is loath to let the RMB rise which might wipe out much of China's export-led economy. Nevertheless, eventually something will have to break. I don't think Chinese coins currently make a good investment.

Chinese coins are slightly different from world coins - the Chinese population is just absurdly high compared to the rest of the world and if you factor in how much coins were struck and melted down during the Chinese revolution, it's somewhat not surpising that if you have just 1% of the population collecting coins, prices will jack up big time.

And to factor in that Chinese would buy lots of their own nation coins from overseas because they can't even trust their dealers at times, it's not suprising that prices have gone up. In fact, I can even pin point that the price just blew up at the middle of this year. There is this 12 ounce silver panda coin that I bought for mere 300USD or so early this year. Another dealer struggled to sell it at 750USD. Just last month? 1500USD. Good grief.

In short term, I reckon prices will still keep going up. The real question is, how long will it last? I believe the rarer coins will be worth more than the common coins for a longer period of time. It had been undervalued for a long period of time But that's if the price doesn't skyrocket to the moon or sun...

So the real question is - WHY NOW when I start getting serious in collecting Chinese coins?! :wallbash: Happened to me when I started to collect Russian coins too :wallbash:

While it's true Chinese demographics are driving the long term trends in Chinese coin prices the sudden recent jumps cannot be attributed to these trends. China was [and still largely is] a poor country. At 1.3 billion people it has around 20% of the world's population. If even 10% of these people enter the middle-class, as are thus able to divert some of their income towards hobbies such as coin collecting, there will be a sudden increase in the demand for Chinese coins. Remember, 10% of China is 130 million people! That's over 4 Canadas. With Chinese economic growth rates pushing 9 - 10% the past decade the net result is that about 25 million people are currently entering the 'middle-class' every year. Of course, this HAS to have an effect on prices.

However, the last year or two has been different. I believe the low RMB/USD exchange rate coupled with high economic growth has led us to a bubble in assets, any and all assets, touched by this Chinese money. Money is searching for yield - any yield. Prices just don't make sense on a pure collector demand driven model.

Also it isn't all Chinese coins. Cash seems relatively untouched. It's the late 19th and 20th century stuff that has gone crazy.

gxseries don't feel bad that you've missed the boat on Chinese coins. Take a look at Indian coins if you're concerned with future valuations. India has much the same demographics as China did 20 years ago - a young poor country with a large population quickly industrializing. I predict India is the next 'boom' coin market. When both Russia and China joined the capitalist world the high economic growth rates kicked in and eventually led to the current valuations. India also has a long a varied tradition in numismatics. The only problem is reading the damn coins. It takes me ages to find them in my Krause catalog.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived