CoinPeople.com

Temperance Society Medal

The various temperance societies produced some elaborate medals for their luminaries.

Here's a medal awarded in 1879 to Brother J. Walters by the Preston and Buckingham Lodge of the Original Grand Order of the Total Abstinence, Sons of the Phoenix. This commemorated his services to the lodge as a two-time P.C.N. (Past Chief Noble?)

c6fb8443.jpg

46b54546.jpg

Very interesting medal. I'd guess they had a jeweler do the inscription on the back. I wonder if the insert is gold. It appears to be gold colored.

The entire medal is about 7 1/2 inches top to bottom. The inscribed reverse has the look of silver while the fancy border

around the obverse resembles pewter. I can't get a good fix on the makeup of the medal itself (which could well be uniface)

because it is under glass and I've found no safe way to remove it.

Here's a thread on these sort of things for the curious.

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?1685-Ancient-Order-Sons-of-the-Phoenix

ec99ce4f.jpg

Thanks for sharing this Yarm. Anyone know how they inscribe the motto on the obverse?

From the photo, the obverse lettering appears to have been created with a fine pointed punch, hammering out the letter forms through a series of closely spaced strikes.

From the photo, the obverse lettering appears to have been created with a fine pointed punch, hammering out the letter forms through a series of closely spaced strikes.

Thanks, Bill. That's what I thought. Why would they use this method vs. the nice inscription on the reverse

Archived