CoinPeople.com

1762/0 2 kopecks overdate

RARENUM

I have missed RNS spring Newsletter.It was just images of 2 kopecks or article about 1762/0(2k,4k,10k)?

Thank you ,Rarenum.

The discussion was about the two kopeck overdates but did mention, in passing, the overdates

found on the four and ten kopecks. The two illustrations had been found by Steve Moulding and

furnished to the editor for possible use.

RWJ

The discussion was about the two kopeck overdates but did mention, in passing, the overdates

found on the four and ten kopecks. The two illustrations had been found by Steve Moulding and

furnished to the editor for possible use.

RWJ

I have records/images of three different examples of the 1762/0 2K.

The rarenum coin is the 4th. Thanks for showing, it's very nice.

The 1997 Brekke/Bakken supplement doesn't list ANY overdates for the Peter III copper coinage. I think you have made quite a discovery! :clapping:

Brekke Bakken is useful but somewhat dated. Much has been learned since it was published.

In Brekke's introduction to the Peter III section, he writes that ALL of the coins issued under that regent were overstruck on earlier coins made before the new copper standard was decreed

This is not true. There were 10 Kopecks struck on new planchets.

I have records/images of three different examples of the 1762/0 2K.

The rarenum coin is the 4th. Thanks for showing, it's very nice.

Thanks Steve,

Other 3 coins have the same dies or different from my example and condition better than my ?

Rarenum

PS:If you need better images for your records please let me know.

Thanks Steve,

Other 3 coins have the same dies or different from my example and condition better than my ?

Rarenum

PS:If you need better images for your records please let me know.

Of the four overdated 1762/0 2K:

• Two are from the Kopenkn spelling error die.
  • The other two (including yours) are regular spelling and look like they're from same die though I need to check more carefully.

Lot 1252 from the 1993 Brekke sale may be a 5th example, but I need to see a better image.

Of the four overdated 1762/0 2K:

• Two are from the Kopenkn spelling error die.
  • The other two (including yours) are regular spelling and look like they're from same die though I need to check more carefully.

Lot 1252 from the 1993 Brekke sale may be a 5th example, but I need to see a better image.

Thanks Steve:art:

Hi guys,

I would like to contribute to this interesting topic with my coin. The overdate on it I saw years ago, but did not consider it to be such rare :)

It seems to be that my coin is from the same die as that of Rarenum (also with a dot between 17 and 62)

@Steve Moulding: Is it a 3rd exemplar or do you have it already in your database? ;)

Thanks!

2k1762overdate_1.jpg

2k1762overdate_2.jpg

The following is the only overdate (1762/0) 10 kopecks that I have seen. The enlarged date area

has been cleaned up so that it may be more easily seen.

There are two other 1762/0 10K candidates in my image database though they're not as clear as this example, and only left-side remnants of a possible under-zero are visible. I'll attempt extraction/cleanup at some point and post them.

But it's very nice, and the earlier overdate is very clear! :ok:

In Brekke's introduction to the Peter III section, he writes that ALL of the coins issued under that regent were overstruck on earlier coins made before the new copper standard was decreed (i.e. on Elisabethan coins). I suppose that such coins were either overstruck OR overdated -- or, as in the case of yours, overstruck on earlier overdated coins (whew!)

So is RARENUM's overdate also overstruck?

1762.jpg

Of course the coin is struck over a 1 kopek of Elizabeth.

The traces of its wreath can be seen at 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock.

Sigi

Archived