CoinPeople.com

1762/0 2 kopecks overdate

RARENUM

Wow ... :art::swoon:

Considering that, according to Brekke, the only known original specimen (or specimens?) of 1760 2k from the end of Elisabeth's reign (after the copper devaluation) was in the Tolstoy collection, that is really amazing!

The 1997 Brekke/Bakken supplement doesn't list ANY overdates for the Peter III copper coinage. I think you have made quite a discovery! :clapping:

Wow ... :art::swoon:

Considering that, according to Brekke, the only known original specimen (or specimens?) of 1760 2k from the end of Elisabeth's reign (after the copper devaluation) was in the Tolstoy collection, that is really amazing!

The 1997 Brekke/Bakken supplement doesn't list ANY overdates for the Peter III copper coinage. I think you have made quite a discovery! :clapping:

Thanks bobh,

For me was hard to belive 1760 coin exist,until I see my coin.Coin was in my collection for several years and only yesterday I have discovery "2" over "0"

It would be worthwhile reading Alex Basok's article - 1760 coin did exist but the die was repunched to 2.

Once again to summarize: the life story of the 1760 dies fits our definition. One sample of each denomination was struck in 1760. Of these only the 1 kopeck and 2 kopek pieces survive today. In 1762 the dies of 1 and 2 kopecks were repunched into 1762, and thus ceased to exist. Several specimens of 10, 4 kopecks and the denga were struck uniface at the same time in 1762 for the purpose of verifying the usefulness of the dies. The 10 kop, which already had a crack, was seen to be irreparable - that ended its existence. The 4 kop die was repunched into 1762 and thus as 1760 piece it vanished as well. The denga die was not used and thus for a while it became the only survivor of 1760 dies.

I do not know about the rest of it, but GM 16, which is a 10 kopek, is a 1762/0. There could have been more than one 1760 10 kopek die...

My 2 kop of 1762, although not as beautiful and is not an obvious overdate, is overstruck on 1761/0 1 kop. Does it qualify? :bleh:

17622kopa.jpg

Does that prove that 1760 coin exists, or that the 1760 die was created (which I don't think was in dispute)?

In my opinion coins listed in Uzdenikov as original looks more like Novodels and I always try to find more additional information about exiting original 1760 ( dies or coins).

I do not know about the rest of it, but GM 16, which is a 10 kopek, is a 1762/0. There could have been more than one 1760 10 kopek die...

My 2 kop of 1762, although not as beautiful and is not an obvious overdate, is overstruck on 1761/0 1 kop. Does it qualify? :bleh:

Do you have better images? Overstruck on 1 kopeck?

17622kopa.jpg

But it's very nice, and the earlier overdate is very clear! :ok:

In Brekke's introduction to the Peter III section, he writes that ALL of the coins issued under that regent were overstruck on earlier coins made before the new copper standard was decreed (i.e. on Elisabethan coins). I suppose that such coins were either overstruck OR overdated -- or, as in the case of yours, overstruck on earlier overdated coins (whew!)

So is RARENUM's overdate also overstruck?

Hard to tell from these photos. RARENUM, this ugly coin, which may not even be an overstrike, does not fit well with your beautiful 4 and 10 kop of 1762. Maybe you want to sell it to me, for it will fit well with my copper uglies and will no longer tar your collection. Come to think of it, I would actually be doing you a favor, taking it off your hands, you know... :grin:

Two of the 2 kopeck overdates (1762/0) were published in RNS Newsletter 23, spring 2009. A few

4 kopeck pieces are also known. The 10 kopeck overdate appears to be an extreme rarity.

RWJ

I have missed RNS spring Newsletter.It was just images of 2 kopecks or article about 1762/0(2k,4k,10k)?

Thank you ,Rarenum.

I like very much a little hope for the rest of us who do not possess yet one of the pieces being discussed and so from the last paragraph of Newsletter 23, 2009:

"It is likely, of course,that a few more specimens of the 2, 4 and 10 kopeks will be found with the overdate 1762/0."

Archived