CoinPeople.com

A little bit for good mood

BKB

These two coins I bought recently:

1. 5 kop 1789 AM. Nothing fancy, except for the condition (it is really this red and completely AUnc. A few tiny spots of light corrosion keeps it from being an Unc). I am only now missing a cute 1796 AM from the 5 kop series. The series is not generally difficult, unless you are trying to get them in AU-Unc. 1789 and 1796 AM are the hardest. IMXO

17892.jpg

2. The second is not Russian. Dah... One may ask:"Why he posts it here?" Very simple. It was on a cover of a Russian numismatic dictionary. :grin: I wanted it since I was a kid.

image00491e.jpg

Thank you. Greek coins are nice. I wish I had the patience to read up on them. I do not even have a catalog... I have a general idea of what I want to get over the years. But, I am in no particular hurry to buy these and are looking for condition.

I have bought a reprint of a David R. Sear catalog at one point. It's a small 2 volume catalog originally printed in 70's. Actually quite fun to read and peruse. Possibly, a bit to broad to be useful to a determined collector, but I recommend it for those with a casual interest.

The reason I bought it, is because someone had given me a handful of Pantikopean coins (Greek colony in Crimea), but I did not get into ancients. I'm very apprehensive about buying them on eBay, as they appear to be much easier to forge.

panstartripod.jpg

This coin was issued ca. 250 BC and has the then typical ceremonial tripod stand which was common on coinage from this region. Curiously the reverse has an eight pointed star with the legend Pantika interposed betwixt the points of the star. This coin is rather similar in appearance to contemporary Alexander Jannaeus Prutahs from the Judean Kingdom.

The bigger problem with Pantikopean coinage is not forgery - but coins that are dug up and smoothed out to make them look more attractive - practically all bronze coins are worked to smooth out fields on them. So it very difficult to find nice original coins. Now I only collect the coins of Khersonesos - always like the lizard and bee reverse pieces best.

chersonesosbee.jpg

I wish for rarest coin from Ukraine territory - Tyras - where is now Belgorod-Dnestrovsky. It is very ancient city, one of 10 oldest in world and always difficult find coin from. There are many in museum in Odessa of Numismatic, but not many available to collectors.

Love Khersonesos. Lots of animals. My first coin was a Soviet imitation of a copper Khersonesos coin my father bought for me in Eupatoria as s souvenir. I was 3. This is how it all began... :grin: I do not have it, because it was glued to a rock.

These are the type of coins I like(I like animals, plants, etc.):

550bcmetapontiuma.jpg

p1030383.jpg

Sometimes a roman coin is also nice, and I just cannot walk past it..

gallienusaeantoninianus.jpg

I know these things are not Russian, but it is more fun and numismatic related than discussing dead elephants.

chersonesosbee.jpg

I wish for rarest coin from Ukraine territory - Tyras - where is now Belgorod-Dnestrovsky. It is very ancient city, one of 10 oldest in world and always difficult find coin from. There are many in museum in Odessa of Numismatic, but not many available to collectors.

Didn't realize they came with bees! Not sure what mine has:

chersones.jpg

They come with bees, alpha characters, lizards, jugs etc. I wonder if the ever changing reverse designs had something to do with some cycle or something - or was it just variety?

BTW I have been to the archeological digs at Tyras/Akkerman/Belgorod-Dnestrovsky, if I can locate my photos will post them here.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived