CoinPeople.com

How coins were marketed to the general public during the Soviet era

Loyal Citizen

Loyal Citizen, don't get me wrong. I own the silver Olympic set and have never seen anything better, maybe to be exceeded by the ballerina packaging. Hard to believe that it was made 30 years ago and it makes modern packaging looks outdated. It's still a good buy even at over 500 dollars. The Olympic coin sets are just masterpieces and if you check the certificate, you can see that there's security watermark and even the certicate number printed in red ink has UV protection! :shock: It's clear that whoever did the designing gave their best but unfortunately got burned out really bad for poor sales - everything worked against them but what you have is perhaps one of the world's best finest packaging ever made.

I'm sure that after this when the whole idea of packaging got pretty much thrown out of the window seen as too expensive. Of course, some will say that packaging is just a waste of space but to me, to be able to showcase the coins in a neat way counts as well. Do you think the coins would look nicer in 2x2 holders or in slabs? To me, it's pointless to keep all my coins in 2x2 holders, tuck away in a dark corner and only see them from time to time. Personally, I like them as they were meant to be.

The way how I look at it is that Leningrad and Moscow mints kept on producing regular coinage in mint sets until 1992 but this tradition pretty much disappeared. I think there were some mint sets that appeared in 1997 and then in 2003 and 2006 (?) and so forth but it's not done on a yearly basis. I reckon its a shame. Who knows, maybe the marketing people in the mints know more than I do and figured they wouldn't sell well. I would certainly be interested if the current circulating coins are struck in proof condition.

Couple of random images:

953076.jpg

901738.jpg

Trust me, hunting those down was pretty tough.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loyal Citizen, don't get me wrong. I own the silver Olympic set and have never seen anything better, maybe to be exceeded by the ballerina packaging. Hard to believe that it was made 30 years ago and it makes modern packaging looks outdated. It's still a good buy even at over 500 dollars. The Olympic coin sets are just masterpieces and if you check the certificate, you can see that there's security watermark and even the certicate number printed in red ink has UV protection! :shock: It's clear that whoever did the designing gave their best but unfortunately got burned out really bad for poor sales - everything worked against them but what you have is perhaps one of the world's best finest packaging ever made.

I'm sure that after this when the whole idea of packaging got pretty much thrown out of the window seen as too expensive. Of course, some will say that packaging is just a waste of space but to me, to be able to showcase the coins in a neat way counts as well. Do you think the coins would look nicer in 2x2 holders or in slabs? To me, it's pointless to keep all my coins in 2x2 holders, tuck away in a dark corner and only see them from time to time. Personally, I like them as they were meant to be.

The way how I look at it is that Leningrad and Moscow mints kept on producing regular coinage in mint sets until 1992 but this tradition pretty much disappeared. I think there were some mint sets that appeared in 1997 and then in 2003 and 2006 (?) and so forth but it's not done on a yearly basis. I reckon its a shame. Who knows, maybe the marketing people in the mints know more than I do and figured they wouldn't sell well. I would certainly be interested if the current circulating coins are struck in proof condition.

Couple of random images:

953076.jpg

901738.jpg

Trust me, hunting those down was pretty tough.

I agree with you that the packaging for these sets is very attractive. However, I have my own theory of why this practice has practically dissappeared from Russian numismatics - THERE HAS BEEN NO SUCH A FAVOURABLE EVENT IN RUSSIA like Moscow Olympics since then ! In 1980, the USSR was put on the world stage. Every time the USSR were in that position, one can find very dramatic change in the routine. Just recall 1960s. When the era of space exploration started, the USSR issued a set of beautiful gold medals dedicated to the first people in space. I have not seen anything like that since then.

Lets wait and see what Sochi brings us. I am almost 100% sure that we will see a flood of various beautiful sets and boxes.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of the space gold medals, I would really like one of Valentina Tereshkova and Yuri Gagarin.

Does anyone have the mintage numbers for those gold USSR medals?

I believe (correct me if I am wrong) they were issued in two sizes.

Also, there is a series of gold medals issued at approximately same time in Italy. Any idea on their mintage ?

Thanks a lot.

Also, there is a series of gold medals issued at approximately same time in Italy. Any idea on their mintage ?

Thanks a lot.

I think it was 1000 pieces for the USSR medals. I will double check tonight. And yes, they came in two sizes/weights - 10 and 16 gr.

The Italian medals were a private issue, ordered (and possibly designed) by some numismatic society in Italy. It had images of astronauts from all over. I do not know the mintage, but has to be lower than for USSR medals.

I think it was 1000 pieces for the USSR medals. I will double check tonight. And yes, they came in two sizes/weights - 10 and 16 gr.

The Italian medals were a private issue, ordered (and possibly designed) by some numismatic society in Italy. It had images of astronauts from all over. I do not know the mintage, but has to be lower than for USSR medals.

thanks. will wait for the numbers.

My one gold medal is 17 grammes in weight of .900 fine gold.

Thanks a lot.

Mintage Tereshkova struck in 1964 for 10 gr.-3516 pieces and 17 gr.-1122 pieces

before in 1963 struck "Proba" /pattern / 70 gr. 950 fine gold.

Thank you. Should we assume that the Gagarin medals had same mintages in 1964 ?

You Welcome .

Gagarin struck in 1964 for 10 gr.-3516 pieces and 17 gr.-936 pieces

Rarenum.

Russia being awarded the 2018 World cup soccer - major event for minting memorable coinage :bthumbsup:

Archived