CoinPeople.com

Elizabeth I Sixpence

NαȽϵ

Looks like the tanner got a wee bend early on and was straightened out - some poor bloke might well have had his heart broken when his lassie bent it and cast it off - he would have been the victim of REJECTION. It was a tradition back during the 17th century to give a girl a tanner as a sign of your affection for her and that you wanted to marry her. If she bent it and cast it off, you got the auld heave ho.

Looks like the tanner got a wee bend early on and was straightened out - some poor bloke might well have had his heart broken when his lassie bent it and cast it off - he would have been the victim of REJECTION. It was a tradition back during the 17th century to give a girl a tanner as a sign of your affection for her and that you wanted to marry her. If she bent it and cast it off, you got the auld heave ho.

I'd read that in a mystery novel I read but hadn't heard it other than that. It's quite interesting.

Tanners later were condemned to spending time in her shoe -

"Something borrowed, something blue, and a sixpence in her shoe" Must be something with losing them too, my cousin lost hers during her wedding, well her first wedding and she is now on #5 :hysterical:

Archived