CoinPeople.com

Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel 1666

regandon

One of the commemorative Talers (Thaler)from my collection.

DATE:1666

MINT:Gosler

MINT OFFICIAL:Henning Schluter (1626-1672)

RULER:August II (1634-1666)

Fascinating! What is the story?

What does the coin commemorate?

What are the devices all about?

What are the legend and motto? I read obverse: the eternal world loves the crowned archduke. and reverse: everything with intent i.e., be considerate? be mindful?

Fascinating! What is the story?

What does the coin commemorate?

What are the devices all about?

What are the legend and motto? I read obverse: the eternal world loves the crowned archduke. and reverse: everything with intent i.e., be considerate? be mindful?

A little history about the Duke

Augustus was the seventh child of Henry, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg. After complicated negotiations with his family members and an intervention by Emperor Ferdinand II, it was agreed that he should inherit Wolfenbüttel, whose last ruler had died in 1634. Because of the Thirty Years' War, he could not move into his residence until 1644. Augustus instituted a number of government reforms, and founded the Bibliotheca Augusta, a large library, in Wolfenbüttel. Under the pseudonym Gustavus Selenus, he wrote a book on chess in 1616, Chess or the King's game, and on cryptography in 1624: Cryptomenytices et Cryptographiae libri IX. The pseudonym is a cryptic reference to his name, Gustavus anagrams (with U=V) to Augustus, the surname is a play on the Greek goddess of the moon (Selene). The book on cryptography is largely based on earlier work by Trithemius.

Augustus was succeeded by his three sons, Rudolph Augustus, Anthony Ulrich, and Ferdinand Albert. The Duke died in 1666 at the age of 87. He was also known as Augustus the Younger

The two men wearing the knights helmet, are known as Wildmen. My Bavarian grandmother told me the story (over 30yrs ago) of the mythical protectors of the forest, known as the Wildmen. As you can see on the rev. of the coin, these Wildmen are holding a tree. There are many different stories about the Wildmen, and all agree on one part of the story. They are Wildmen who lived in the forest. As to the symbolism on the coat of arms and on the knights helmet, I need to do more research. As to what the coin commemorates,.. I've been told two different stories. One is that it commemorates his death, and the other is his birthday. I am doing more research on what it commemorates. I will be in Germany on a family visit, and I'm bring photos of the coin with me to get some much needed info.

Archived