CoinPeople.com

What is it?

bobolo

I found this piece of metal (coin maybe?) in my grandpa's collection. I was triyn' to find, what is it, but everyone was telling me, that he doesn't know. Maybe you'll help me.

coin001.jpgcoin002.jpg

I found this piece of metal (coin maybe?) in my grandpa's collection. I was triyn' to find, what is it, but everyone was telling me, that he doesn't know. Maybe you'll help me.

"Friedensgrube" was the name of a German coal mining company which operated from the late 19th century until 1937. Here is an interesting article about it (in German):

http://www.mumsdorf-online.de/friedens.htm

There may have been other mines by this name. When I Googled the term, there was also a reference to an 18th century medal engraver Gottlieb Laurer of Kulmbach who cut dies for the Mining Medal of the Neulaische Friedensgrube in the mid-1700's. However, yours is certainly a token and not a medal, and it is not so old.

"Speiseanstalt" is the German word for a cafeteria or other place where the workers could eat; today the more usual term would be "Kantine". So your token could be used in exchange for food at the worker's cafeteria.

Interesting piece! :bthumbsup:

And welcome to Coin People, bobolo -- I should have said that in my first message! :art:

Archived