CoinPeople.com

America the Beautiful 5 oz rounds

thedeadpoint

An interesting article on the design contrasts in the 5 oz. bullion rounds vs. the circulating coins:

http://www.coinnews.net/2010/10/08/america-the-beautiful-silver-coins-and-quarters-contrasting-design-images/

Quite the improvement thanks to more room for engraving and relief.

The rounds:

2010-America-the-Beutiful-Silver-Bullion-Coins.jpg

America-the-Beautiful-Silver-Bullion-Coins.jpg

Hot-Springs-National-Park-Quarter.jpg

Hot-Springs-National-Park-Silver-Bullion-Coin.jpg

Yellowstone-National-Park-Quarter.jpg

Yellowstone-National-Park-Silver-Bullion-Coin.jpg

All of the rounds do look better but how much of that is due to the angles/lighting?

I like them. I'd be tempted to purchase a few of them but will probably use the money to buy something that matches my collection like Roosevelt dimes or Jeffersons.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I do digital work for the US Mint and just wanted to let you know about the Mount Hood National Forest quarter launch event is taking place this Wednesday, November 17, 2010, at 10:30 am (PT), World Forestry Center, 4033 SW Canyon Road, Portland, OR 97221. There will also be a coin forum tomorrow, November 16th, from 5:30-6:30 at the same location. If you can't make it to the event, you can watch the live webcast at http://bit.ly/atbquarters starting at 10:25 (PST), 1:25 (EST). Hope some of you are able to make it out!

• 2 months later...

It seems that the implementation of this program is not very "collector friendly". The 5 oz'ers were only released to the few large companies that buy bullion directly from the Mint. So now the prices are way too high. Scratch them from my someday list.

Archived