CoinPeople.com

Post your Pre-Federal American issues!

thedeadpoint

Post your American issues (pre-1792)! Share with us the ancestors of our pocket change.

Knowing two or three of you :bleh: , I'm not going to attempt to define what I mean by this. Post whatever you think applies here. Hopefully, you'll post more Colonial issues than reales or cartwheels.

I have several colonials going back to the Rosa Americana pieces, but I have never imaged them or put a lot of interests into them. But I really want to get one of the Massachusetts-Bay Pine Tree era coins sometime, dated 1652. I have been watching auctions, but I have a hard time finding one I like.

Until then, here is one that got shipped to America after it was refused in Ireland due to being underweight by comparison to English halfpennies:

georgeiihalfpenny1723.jpg

Hibernia halfpenny minted by William Wood by patent from 1722-1724. William Wood also minted the Rosa Americana pieces, and I have a twopence somewhere that I have never imaged.

Back when I was in high school I found a beaten up Connecticut cent from 1787 in a dealers 25 cent junk box and bought it. I remember the dealer was actually excited when I showed him the coin I wanted to buy, he said he had salted it into the box a couple of decades before and nobody ever noticed it or thought anything of it because it was so beaten up. But, I noticed the "Auct ---- Connect" on it and the date, and correctly identified it as a Connecticut cent.

I will try and image it later.

These things - bawbees - show up occasionally in Virginia archeological digs:

charlesiibawbee1677.jpg

charlesiibawbee1678.jpg

charlesiibawbee1679.jpg

They would have circulated as halfpennies in colonial America, and like their circulation in Scotland they would have largely disappeared from circulation by the 1760's.

17th century Scottish bawbees, or a Scottish sixpence, equivalent to English halfpenny and circulated as such for nearly 100 years after they were minted. Bodles or twopence show up less often, they would have circulated as a farthing.

Here's my one-and-only Connecticut copper coin:

Connecticut_Copper_1787_obv.thumb.jpgConnecticut_Copper_1787_rev.thumb.jpg

I've never been able to properly attribute it, though -- there are so many varieties of these. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Obv need something better than the redbook to make a determination of what varieties there are, I am finding the same with the Massachusetts silver coins from the 17th century. There are so many varieties, and so many possibilities for fakes. Not knowing much about them I have avoided them, but they are so tempting to own something from America that is 17th century. My earliest coins from what is now the USA are the Rosa Americana coins, banked, not imaged.

I have several colonials going back to the Rosa Americana pieces, but I have never imaged them or put a lot of interests into them. But I really want to get one of the Massachusetts-Bay Pine Tree era coins sometime, dated 1652. I have been watching auctions, but I have a hard time finding one I like.

Stack's has an auction of a collection of 124 colonial coins on Nov. 2 -- go to the "Roy Bonjour Collection", maybe you'll see something you like there.

Edit: Just noticed that there is only one Mass. pine tree coin in the whole collection! But it is very interesting nevertheless -- mostly Vermont copper there.

New Jersey Copper Maris 52-i

W-5280. URS-10, R-3.

14lmzqr.jpg

I would grade it around VF35. It has been cleaned, although it isn't harsh, I can't see any hairlines. I'm just going to leave it in an envelope and let it tone over again. I won it for just under $350 and thought it was neat as I've never had a New Jersey copper yet.

The "Encyclopaedia of Colonial and Early American Coins, Bowers, Whitman 2009

prices them at:

G4: $60, VG-8: $150, F-12: $220, VF-20: $650, EF-40: $1400, AU-50: $3000"

My max bid was $365 and even though it has been cleaned, I don't feel what I won it for was a too crazy a price.

Voce Populi (voice of the people) halfpenny.

Please excuse the pictures the colour isn't right it is a bit more chocolaty brown in hand.

1z1422e.jpg

dpbtsg.jpg

this is the Nelson-7 type.

Breen lists it as very rare.

On the type section of Coinfacts they say:

"Rarity 6 (13-30 known)"

When you click on the link Coinfacts say:

"1760 VOCE POPULI - NELSON 7[ Rarity: Very Rare (just over 30 known, according to Stan Stephens)"

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/vo..._populi_n07.htm

Now graded PCGS VF35 (better then the John J. Ford Jr. example which is PCGS VF30.

Nice. One of my favorite day dreams is thinking about how these coins looked fresh off the press. Its fascinating to see 200+ y.o. coins with luster, bright red, or brilliant white.

Nice. One of my favorite day dreams is thinking about how these coins looked fresh off the press. Its fascinating to see 200+ y.o. coins with luster, bright red, or brilliant white.

There is some sweet stuff in that auction, I like the Massachusetts pieces, but dosh is tight until my other house closes sale sometime in the next month or so. :angry:

Archived