CoinPeople.com

1866 5 Kopeks - How to distinguish novodels?

Rhino

I see in my Bitkin book that novodels made of the 1855-1862 5 Kopeks are mentioned, but not novodels of the 1858-1867 (which have a different eagle design). But do novodels of the 1858-1867 still exist? How do you distinguish from originals? Here's an example:

5k2.jpg

5k1.jpg

How do you tell if that is original or a novodel?

, on 08 October 2010 - 12:14 AM, said:

How do you tell if that is original or a novodel?

By the quality of the strike. Ekaterinburg mint's strike quality of that period was poor. The Novodels were made to compensate for this, they have well centered strikes with no weakness, some can possibly proof quality strikes.

I am afraid this is just a very simplified summary. In reality, things are more complicated for novodels.

• 2 weeks later...

I am afraid this is just a very simplified summary. In reality, things are more complicated for novodels.

I agree, the Novodels question is extremely complicated, and not well studied (as far as I know). Some Novodels look a lot like the originals, some look like fantasy coins, and all look fake (or not quite original enough).

However, for a late novodel issue, and an 1866 novodel would be such a coin, I would not expect a huge amount of mystery - just a damn good looking coin.

Here is an auction that ended today on eBay. The coin is a 3 kopeek EM 1851 graded by NGC. NGC does not rank it as a novodel. But in my opinion it is. Judge for yourselves:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180573714807

Archived