CoinPeople.com

Collector backgrounds

thedeadpoint

Which type of collector are you?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do these stereotypes have credibility?

2. 2. Which describes your collecting best?

• Collect the "taste of the moment", the hot trendy coins
    • Collect "a more personal, albeit less trendy path", the overlooked and less popular coins
  3. 3. Which stereotype fits you best?

• Incredibly wealthy
    • More varied career and limited means

In a recent issue of Coin World, I read an article called 'Possessors and Possessed: Lives of collectors vary." The article reviewed a book called 'The Proud Possessors" that found two types of collectors based on short biographies of very accomplished collections:

1) Collectors who collected "the taste of the moment"

2) Collectors who collected "a more personal, albeit less trendy path"

The author found that type (1) collectors "were nearly all incredibly wealthy." Type (2) collectors had "more varied careers and more limited means."

This should make sense since the trendy stuff is more expensive due to demand.

So, of course these are both broad statements, but in your experience, would you say they have merit? Which one describes you best?

Interesting topic. By coincidence, the latest issue of The Numismatist had an article about "types" of collectors, where the author presented a pretty good case for the theory that there are 4 types of collectors, who are all on a fluid sort of line that connects them:

1.Investor: buys the coins that would yield the greatest profits in the years to come.

2. Collector: has a collection with a focus who collects solely for pleasure, a person who does not mind paying above market value for a coin she/he really want to complete or add to a set.

3. Collector-Investor: A hybrid of the above two, a person who has a personal collection with a focus but who also keeps in mind that the items he/she want to purchase have a certain value, a collector who carefully studies prices and trends before buying even the coins he/she really need for a set.

4. Accumulator: a hoarder, has all sorts of coins, very little connection between them, lots of copies, random change among good coins, whatever catches the eye.

Those 4 categories go well with your 2.

Of course, these aren't exhaustive descriptors. I appreciated how succinct the two stereotypes are. If someone wants to step up and do a more statistically significant poll, go on ahead!

As for me? I think this has some merit. I fall square in the middle. I've got a young career but I've made great progress on two popular series but, luckily, they are considered underdogs compared to Morgans and other very very popular series.

One question I would love to get an answer to: To what degree are the big pricey coins (the $100K+ ones) expensive because of their "trendiness"? Which big dollar items are relatively new to the high-ball scene?

Some of the errors are recent additions, I believe.

OK, I amswered it, too, but this goes back to a basic question. Risking obsession on a topic of my own, why not ask "What kind of dealer are you?"

I sell what everyone wants to buy: Morgan Dollars, Lincoln Cents, US Type keys, the common stuff that moves easily.

I sell to discriminating buyers with specific tastes -- ancients, medals, etc.

I mean, it is the same question, but we accept too easily the commonly dished out assumption that "buyers" have "money" and "sellers" offer "goods" and "services" when in fact, all trade is bilateral. We take one side or the other for analytical conveniences, but you cannot ignore that other side.

And why is the "collection" always of material objects? I collect knowledge.

I found this poll quite difficult to answer. I don't really fit either category. I think it's no secret that I tend to favour more expensive series coins, simply because it's just the way I am, aspiring to the next level per say. On the other hand I've never really been a trend follower either, I tend to tread the less visited numismatic paths, because I like to be different.

So whilst I might be drawn to silver and gold of the more expensive range, I'll go and pick a series that's not entirely popular, such as 17th century sixpences (when most people go for the half crowns), or half guineas and half sovereigns when most trend followers go for the full guineas and sovereigns or the even larger pieces. Even my US set the SLQs follows the rule, not cheap, but not as popular as Mercury dimes. It's small wonder I didn't hop on the Barber Quarter bandwagon. ;)

I just enjoy owning things that I can't really afford, or had to break the bank balance to get! The thrill of the chase, and I'm quite happy to go over book value to get it.

A very difficult poll but I went for the closest answers.

I collect a series that, in perspective to numismatics in general, is overlooked. However, in saying that, within the English series it is highly popular and this can mean that the prices can venture towards the millions. Whilst I don't spend that sort of money, my recent invoice from Spink was slightly worrying... So, whilst I collect a 'less trendy' path, it can still be big money. Not everyone collects the run-of-the-mill, (excuse the pun), coins of the less trendy series and so the prices can be in the league of the 'wealthy'.

Like Clive I went for the closest answers. Seeing as I am not really a coin collector at all(I just collect historical medals/tokens) perhaps I should have passed on the poll. Probably if I had been born with a silver spoon in my mouth & had still became interested in my collecting field I would be buying gold medals, petition crowns etc but I think I am just as happy with my collection the way it is, the research, technical aspects & history of my pieces is still how I value it, the monetary value has zero interest to me. That might change if or when I have to sell it. The pleasure & knowledge acquired in accumulating my collection will still remain with me, as long as I retain my wits.

That is not to say that if anyone had a petition crown they wanted to donate to my collection that I would refuse it, I have nothing per se against an expensive piece, which just happens to be one of the finest coins ever struck & loaded with history too!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I will answer this as best as I can by a few images :banana:

Yes, I admit I collect what I like at the spur of the moment :grin:

But you certainly have good taste ... great coins (and pics)! :bthumbsup:

Nice, HD!

A few questions:

- what's the top, left Russian?

- The token to the left of the Columbus half?

- Can you repost the Civil War image? I only see half of it :(

Nice, HD!

A few questions:

- The token to the left of the Columbus half?

- Can you repost the Civil War image? I only see half of it :(

First off, thanks to everyone for the great compliments :)

To answer your questions

Everything in the second poster is Russian

The token to the left of the Columbus half?

It is a 1892 IL E 101 WM28mm Liberty Head High Relief Like a so-called dollar but smaller, so they are called Eglits

Can you repost the Civil War image? I only see half of it :(

You may try right clicking on the poster and save it to your desktop and you would probably see all of it.

If not let me know and I can try a link

[/quote name=thedeadpoint' timestamp='1288743303' post='509284]

It is a 300 hundred years of the Romanov's commemorative rouble showing Ivan the terrible & Nicholas the last tsar, dated 1613-1913

http://www.mycoindealer.com/Nicholas-II-300-years-of-Romanovs-1913-Y-70-MS-62-by-NGC-p-1344.html