CoinPeople.com

Medals in the British Museum

I spent a couple of hours yesterday wandering around the British Museum and, me being me, took plenty of photographs. Some of which are of medals and thought that I will post them here. The rest are elsewhere online but I thought that the medals deserve their own little topic.

BM4.jpg

BM25.jpg

BM5.jpg

BM3.jpg

I notice that their coins look so much nicer than mine.

Also, is it my imagination, or are these somehow different from the ones we post on Omnicoin?

Wish I had been wandering around the BM with you Clive(I would have carried your camera for you). The first medal is the Taking of Quebec, 1759. Obv. Head of Britannia 1., bound with fillet; above, BRITANNIA ; below, laurel-wreath, uniting trident and standard. SAVNDERS. WOLFE. Rev. Victory 1., crowning trophy; at base, captive seated bound, and prow of ship. QVEBEC TAKEN. MDCCLIX. ; in ex., SOC. P. A. C. Silver. Size 1*5.

On 13 Sep. 1759, the heights of Abraham above Quebec were captured by Wolfe, who was killed in the action. The town of Quebec surrendered five days afterwards. Admiral Saunders commanded the fleet. This medal was issued by the Society for the Promotion of Arts and Commerce.

I have stayed in the Château Frontenac in old Quebec City & stood on the Plains of Abraham, Quite a feat to scale the heights in darkness to surprise the French, both opposing generals, Wolfe(on the battlefield) & Montcalm(later the next day from wounds suffered in the battle), died.

Great post :bthumbsup:

PS I could not get your link to work, I would like to see the rest.

Wish I had been wandering around the BM with you Clive(I would have carried your camera for you).

:lol:

PS I could not get your link to work, I would like to see the rest.

That is probably because the rest are in a subscription only part of the forum, the Asylum. They can also be viewed on my forum if wished: http://historiccoinage.com/forum/index.php

I would go as far as to say fantastic photos.

I had to take them all through glass though, so they could be better and there could've been more. Even so, I'd encourage you all to visit if you ever find yourself in England.

I had to take them all through glass though, so they could be better and there could've been more. Even so, I'd encourage you all to visit if you ever find yourself in England.

So do not forget to take a glass cutter with you & wear your runners & a disguise!

Archived