CoinPeople.com

US Dollar Twenty

Tegwin

I am assuming you are not in the US. Otherwise, it should be straightforward get it in one of your local banks.

The best way would be to ask a friend or an acquaintance you trust to get it from the bank and mail it to you.

What do you mean by P458?

It refers to the PICK Catalogue system devised by German numismatist Albert Pick. Read Wikipedia here. If you look at the Krause Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, you will see that the numbers are Pick numbers, just as for coins, they are often C (for Craig) or Y (for Yeoman), whereas recent issues get K (for Krause).

What do you mean by P458?

As Mr.Marotta mentions, P458 is the pick number, and is the common cataloging method following in most of the world for currency. American collectors of US currency tend to use the Friedberg numbering system.

Funny thing - every dealer around here has a redbook and stocks them for sale, but I've never seen a Friedburg, not even in a dealer's own collection.

Very weird thing is that even though we're beside the border, old US notes are seldom encountered, and even then it's almost always a (in order of frequency) '76 $2, '57 $1, '53 $2 or '35 $1.

I'm with you, since I actually care about series, fed districts and signature combos...

I agree that for a collector specializing in US banknotes Friedberg is the better reference. In fact, SCWPM doesn't work for most specialized collections, I use several, including Friedberg for US notes and Jhunjhunwalla for Indian banknotes.

And for the other question P458 is same as Fr 2071 (Neff & Simon).

I suppose a correction is in order in my original response to the OP is in order as well. I never realized that he may be looking for a 1974 series note.

Mr Tegwin, I suppose other members of the forum may be able to better assist you on that regard.

I agree that for a collector specializing in US banknotes Friedberg is the better reference. In fact, SCWPM doesn't work for most specialized collections, I use several, including Friedberg for US notes and Jhunjhunwalla for Indian banknotes.

And for the other question P458 is same as Fr 2071 (Neff & Simon).

I suppose a correction is in order in my original response to the OP is in order as well. I never realized that he may be looking for a 1974 series note.

Mr Tegwin, I suppose other members of the forum may be able to better assist you on that regard.

Thank you for your help Balaji Murthy. It is appreciated. I usually collect British notes and we dont use the SCWPM for British notes either, we use the Duggleby's book. Which is essentially " THE BIBLE" .. http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Paper-Money-Treasury-England/dp/0954345711/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1285228108&sr=1-1

I have ordered a Friedburg book from AMAZON.com and should have it in a week or so, Once i Have that book I will look up the number i need and then see where I can find it.

Picture at http://tomchao.com/coinpeople/us20-1974.bmp

P-458 is $20 Series of 1974 Federal Reserve Note. There are 12 varieties with Letters A-L on the seal at the right side.

The Federal Reserve System is divided into twelve Federal Reserve districts, in each of which is a Federal Reserve Bank. Each district is designated by a number and the corresponding letter of the alphabet which appear on the notes printed for that district. The district numbers, the cities in which the twelve banks are located, and the letter symbols are:

1-A Boston

2-B New York

3-C Philadelphia

4-D Cleveland

5-E Richmond

6-F Atlanta

7-G Chicago

8-H St. Louis

9-I Minneapolis

10-J Kansas City

11-K Dallas

12-L San Francisco

Ok, so now that we learned about pick numbers can anyone tell me which is the 458? I know this might be esoteric, but I have like 4 different $20 notes on my desk right now and I have no idea if any of them are 458s...

The 458 is the old style, I have attached a picture of the one I am after

102ak.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

If you are only looking for the style, keep in mind there are a couple variations just so you don't buy anything you don't want:

This design was generally in use from series 1963 through series 1995 (anything before series 1963 has a major difference in the obligation and legal tender language). The major design change in that period was the addition of anticounterfeiting polymer threads to the notes beginning in series 1990 (extending to series 1993 and 1995). There were some other minor changes as well, such as the change from the latin treasury seal to the English treasury seal for series 1969, and a minor change in the font for the serial numbers between series 1977 and 1981.

Your best bet to find one might be to go through eBay, otherwise you can post a want ad here as well. I think I have some extra ones, but they probably aren't unc.

Thanks.. I have actually managed to get the paper money book from Friedburg .. Had a look and the one I am interested in is F-2074L ..

if anyone has this note please let me know what the cost will be .

The note is not mine and I would liek one for my collection.