CoinPeople.com

I need a scale....

nicholasz219

Hello everyone!

I need to buy a quality scale for collecting. I have no knowledge on where to even start. Can my fellow forum members please recommend some quality digital scales that will not be major $$$ but accurate?

If you have the name of a seller of said scales, please just private message me. Otherwise, I would like to have some recommendations on model type and features I should look for.

Thanks everyone!

nicholasz219

Hello everyone!

I need to buy a quality scale for collecting. I have no knowledge on where to even start. Can my fellow forum members please recommend some quality digital scales that will not be major $$$ but accurate?

If you have the name of a seller of said scales, please just private message me. Otherwise, I would like to have some recommendations on model type and features I should look for.

Thanks everyone!

nicholasz219

I bought mine on eBay. You can get a small electronic scale (0.01g to 100.00g) for about $15 these days. Look under jewelery supplies.

• 1 year later...

My iBal201 has gone on the fritz so I need a new scale. I want something a little better than the $15 scales on ebay. Reliable and durable while being accurate to +- 0.01 grams

You could go to a gun store that specializes in reloading and ask for a powder scale. You may even find an electronic one and not have to mess with sliding weights along beams. They won't be cheap, but an inaccurate scale is physically _dangerous_ in this endeavor (a wrong powder charge can cause a gun to go "kaboom"), so they tend to be accurate!

You could go to a gun store that specializes in reloading and ask for a powder scale. You may even find an electronic one and not have to mess with sliding weights along beams. They won't be cheap, but an inaccurate scale is physically _dangerous_ in this endeavor (a wrong powder charge can cause a gun to go "kaboom"), so they tend to be accurate!

Steve, yes I've been looking there although now most only sell those scales on line. I was actually thinking of a magnetic beam version as it seems it might last longer than a pure digital version

I myself use a pelouze eletronic postal scale with a max capacity of 5lb/2.2kg.

It also has digital accuracy down to 1oz/1gr primaraly used for small office where alot of mail is used.

The model I use is SP5 and I purchased it here in Canada for $39.99.

You should be able to google to find an outlet near you then go take a look at it and make a decision from there.

I like mine it is flat and about 8inx4in ..

:bthumbsup: I use my old reloading beam scale for the occasional coin weigh in. It has a very fine vernier, and i always level and zero it with each use. Very accurate. The only down side is the reading is in Grains, and must be converted to Grams, but that is easy enough with the aid of a calculator.

I myself use a pelouze eletronic postal scale with a max capacity of 5lb/2.2kg.

It also has digital accuracy down to 1oz/1gr primaraly used for small office where alot of mail is used.

This would be fairly useless as far as weighing coins goes ... besides, 1 oz = approx. 28 grams, and lots of coins weigh less than that.

The good news is the postal scale could be used to weigh Sestroretsk rubles. But 1 gram precision (neweden stated it had that as well) isn't going to cut it for this application.

Electronic scales often will read in both, so even if it's an electronic powder scale, it should work out for someone reading this. If you really are stuck with grains, I convert grains to troy ounces by dividing by 480, then convert to grams by multiplying by 31.1035. (The only conversion factor I can remember between metric and english weights is 31.1035 grams to the troy ounce; I can't ever remember the number for avoirdupois ounces. Which should tell you where my interests lie. :lol: )

And here is another one who doesnt read a members post fully before he comments.

The original post was not well stated. Until it was clarified, I took it the same way as BobH.

This thread was dormant since Sept. 2010. Then a member posted a question on Dec. 23 saying that he needed scales "accurate to +/- 0.01g":

My iBal201 has gone on the fritz so I need a new scale. I want something a little better than the $15 scales on ebay. Reliable and durable while being accurate to +- 0.01 grams

So the question is ... who is the "original poster" here? jlueke stated very clearly what he wanted, IMHO.

Archived