CoinPeople.com

1816 1 Thaler, Bavaria

elverno

1816 1 Thaler, Bavaria

985656.jpg

41mm

Because of the hole I got this for the then price of silver. I like big silver so I was ok with that. :)

If you've got big silver that's been loved in its time feel free to add.

Looks like one of Sweeney Todd's victims(he finished them off with a cut-throat razor) the obverse would look better rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise so the blood flow is on the floor.

985656a.jpg

I suspect I maybe watching too many forensic dramas on TV.

Great deal & still a most attractive coin with character, somethings look better with age.

Technically, what are the devices on the reverse? The sword and crown are easy enough. The other thing, I believe is too often called a "mace" but is in fact a torch. I have been researching torches for an article about torches on coins. There is not a lot of information out there on these common objects. Candles and lamps, yes, but hallway and gallery lighter uppers, no.

Also, I notice the political shift, also, albeit after Napoleon and on the verge of the reaction. This coin was struck after the Congress of Vienna. But the legend reads, "For God and the People." Clearly, the ideas of republicanism had taken root.

The other thing, I believe is too often called a "mace" but is in fact a torch.

Interesting theory but the history of the mace as a weapon of war which was then carried by a mace bearer at coronations & other royal occasions, being held with a sword or orb by a monarch when being crowned is very well documented. The development from a weapon to a more ceremonial style of ornamental mace made from precious metals & jewels is similarly documented with many examples still in existence & the British mace is still in use today as is the mace of the Lord Mayor of London. Often the design of crossed sword & mace on coins & medals dates originally from the new monarch's coronation.

I look forward to reading your article when it is finished as I realise you will have some good reasons for your theory.

Interesting theory but the history of the mace ... similarly documented with many examples still in existence... crossed sword & mace on coins & medals dates originally from the new monarch's coronation. ... I realise you will have some good reasons for your theory.

No theory. I was thinking at first only of the torches on US Coins, the Roosevelt Dime, Saint Gaudens $20 and a few others. Torches are more common on commemoratives of late. But from another angle -- numismatics in the Wizard of Oz, oddly enough -- I was told about political torches for torchlight parades (L. Frank Baum marched in some, it seems.) So, I went looking for 19th century and earlier torches. Hard to find. But, I did find some in the 18th century that look like the "maces" on many coins.

I get the mace. In fact, at college graduations, someone carries a mace, to protect the Board of Trustees, I guess. Myself, when I am down in the Dungeon, I prefer a morning star, but a mace is better than a short sword. Anyway, when I have something, I will let you know, you in particular, because I value your expertise. Thanks.

Have to agree with you re the morning star versus mace etc, what a weapon, still prefer my uzi though. I got the wrong end of the stick(mace, torch, whatever) & thought you was referring directly about the mace on Vern's 'bloody' silver thaler. Always most interested in any of your posts because of your obvious all round numismatic knowledge, mine I am afraid is severely limited just to exonumia :friends:

Archived