CoinPeople.com

A yen for questions

jtryka

Ok, at the coin club auction tonight, I bid on and won 2 circulated Japanese 100-yen banknotes (I figured this was a good deal with the yen at 85 to the dollar, I paid $1.50 for them). Can anyone tell me about them and if they are still legal tender?

MVC-365S.JPG

One series ago is usually not bad - around here, the "Bird" series notes in $5, $10, and $20 are seldom, but still ocassionally seen. I've had the $2 rejected on several occasions since some people think it's obsolete. (The $2 coin came out in Feb 1996 and the note had virtually dissappeared from circulation by summer)

In regards to the 1980s/90s era 1000 yen, I think it was a lot more recently that they were pulled out of circulation - I gave one to a friend going to Japan last summer and he said that it was okay.

One series ago is usually not bad - around here, the "Bird" series notes in $5, $10, and $20 are seldom, but still ocassionally seen. I've had the $2 rejected on several occasions since some people think it's obsolete. (The $2 coin came out in Feb 1996 and the note had virtually dissappeared from circulation by summer)

I live across the border from Canada, and actually we do see enough of the 1954 dated notes and issues from the 1970's to suggest that people from Canada find it easier to exchange them in stores and banks in the USA than they do in Canada. I buy the 1954 dated notes when my bank gets them.

When I was up in Canada last year, I got one of the older $5 notes in change, I think it's the same guy on the front, but all the guys on Canadian notes look the same to me, the only one I could pick out from a crowd would be the queen on the $20.

Archived