CoinPeople.com

Conspiracy Theory ?

Loyal Citizen

This topic has become somewhat popular lately.

Some people are saying that, in order to raise cash, governments (not only Russian, by the way) produce counterfeit gold coins and bars.

Thank you for posting this video.

Perhaps it would be useful for the gold dealer to do weight and specific gravity tests on these pieces.

Copper spots are sometimes seen on old gold coins when the copper alloy is not evenly mixed with the gold. That might explain the spots. Are these supposed to be coin gold (~.900 fine) or pure gold (.999 fine)? If they are coin gold, then it might be innocent. But if they are supposed to be pure gold, then something is wrong.

This news has been making the rounds since the middle of July 2010. The business about the coin being sent for testing and getting lost in the mail seems like nonsense. I haven't seen any more regarding a final conclusion or the test results (if any were ever done), but overall something seems fishy about the whole story.

Thank you for posting this video.

Perhaps it would be useful for the gold dealer to do weight and specific gravity tests on these pieces.

Copper spots are sometimes seen on old gold coins when the copper alloy is not evenly mixed with the gold. That might explain the spots. Are these supposed to be coin gold (~.900 fine) or pure gold (.999 fine)? If they are coin gold, then it might be innocent. But if they are supposed to be pure gold, then something is wrong.

http://www.cbr.ru/eng/bank-notes_coins/base_of_memorable_coins/coins.asp?cat_num=5216-0060

It is 999/1000.

Two lunatics on the video are discussing the subject they have no knowledge about. Since when so called "copper spots" on gold tell about conspiracy of Central Banks? "Copper spots" may be commonly found on modern coins even 999 pure. Those two guys could the same decide that copper spots were left by humanoids from Mars that were secretly exploring Russian Central Bank vaults and left red fingerprints on coins with their little red hands. :hysterical:

Ok I can't watch the video since I'm on a company network. Can anyone briefly tell me what is in it?

Speaking of which, wasn't the Russian platinum coins struck unofficially during the early Soviet government era to be sold to the West?

Basically, they tell us that there are "copper spots" or corrosion on the modern 999 proof gold pieces struck at the Saint Leninberg's mint. One coin was sent to Europe for analysis, but they don't have results yet. So the question is - Why do these gold pieces have signs of oxidation?

It maybe not a case of oxidation but maybe how it was refined or where the gold is sourced form.

During the refining stage, strong heat, chemicals are added and other unwanted metals are removed from the mix. Pure gold refinery is NOT cheap as a lot of electricity is used. More is explained here: http://www.goldandsilvermines.com/abtgold.htm Usually a sample is sent for analysis that verifies the purity. So, supposedly if the refinery just managed a 99.8% purity and the analysis lab missed it, it's passed on as 0.999 pure.

A more controversial belief, which is what I think, is radioactive gold. You cannot discount the fact of the amount of gold that is recovered from radioactive sites as well as nuclear reactors. As far as I know, there are places in the world where gold is mined from uranium mines. Gold does exist in radioactive state. I do not know offhand what radioactive gold will break down to but I suspect it can break down to chemicals that cause the copper-like discoloring. Again, this is my belief and is not backed up by any sources, therefore do not use this as a reference.

I have a 1945 Mexican two peso gold coin that is copper spotty. I don't think it is a conspiracy on the part of the Mexico City mint, rather it is just sloppy work.

Back in 1986 the US mint had to correct the quarter AGE coins because the weight was found to be like 1/1000ths off, so you were shorted that amount of gold - really about a cent or two back then - just enough to chaff off people.

Two lunatics on the video are discussing the subject they have no knowledge about. Since when so called "copper spots" on gold tell about conspiracy of Central Banks? "Copper spots" may be commonly found on modern coins even 999 pure. Those two guys could the same decide that copper spots were left by humanoids from Mars that were secretly exploring Russian Central Bank vaults and left red fingerprints on coins with their little red hands. :hysterical:

You are right. But the whole thing is not about the "copper spots" ! It is about the "GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACY THEORY" !!!

For example, read this : http://viewzone2.com/fakegoldx.html

Get it ?

The first movie is not related to the second story. However, you may read on the very bottom of your link: "There are machines in industry which can read in a scale that would be useful for thicker (1/8 inch) platings as mentioned in the article". So I do not see any problems for large institutions, especially government organizations to check their gold bars. Also large gold depositories will never take gold from anyone without doing refinery of it. Assume you take physical delivery of gold purchased on an exchange (received a gold bar from exchange depository) and then want to deposit it back. To deposit it back will mean melt and refine it again. This is how large depository organizations make sure that what they keep in their vaults is pure and made to the standard.

So are there any gold plated bars in existance? Why not. Counterfeiters, criminals could do it. Gold coins are counterfeited in quantities, even old gold coins. So once you find a fake gold coin "minted before 1933" will you decide that it has something to do with a government of any country? And if a fake coin bears date after 1933? Does it change anything?

Best regards,

WCO

"A recent discovery -- in October of 2009 -- has been suppressed by the main stream media but has been circulating among the "big money" brokers and financial kingpins and is just now being revealed to the public."

oh no! :)

Archived