CoinPeople.com

Sorting thru a small hand-me-down hoard

Sir Sisu

Some of you know about this part of my collection. Anyhow, I finally have all of it in my possession now and have been slo-o-o-o-o-wly going through it. It's mostly 20th century stuff. Over the past weekend I went through the washington quarters, and there was a fair amount (200-300) low grade silver coins. According to the redbook, none of them are of particular interest except perhaps 1949 -even then only moderately. My question here is, for a low grade of this year (roughly G-VG), is it of value enough to put aside from the rest of the "junk" grade silver coins that I have loose in a container or should they just join the bunch?

There were some nice samples, but most of those were late year 63's and 64's.

I wish I could say that they are worth more than the silver in them, but unfortunately unless it has an S mint on the back which gives it a bit more interest they are pretty much worth the metal in them.

Hmmm . . . my redbook edition must have some errors then. It doesn't even list a 1949-S, but shows that 1949 (no mintmark) is one of moderate value. I wonder if there are other errors that have made me do the opposite; toss aside coins that actually are of moderate collector value.

Archived